VOGONS

First post, by anb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I'm having some issues trying to make my old computer work.

First of all, let me apologize for my broken English. It is not my first language.

My PC specs are:

ASUS P5LD2 SE
Intel Pentium D 805 2.66mhz
Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 512mb DDR3 / PCI-E with VGA/DVI/HDMI
RAM 4GB DDR3
HDD 750GB 7200rpm
HDD 320GB 5400rpm
PSU 500W

And I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits.

Overall the computer works amazingly. A little bit slow but, to be expected.
My problem starts when I want to connect my 32'' Samsung TV LED over HDMI.
It won't work. I get a blank screen.

For the PC to recognize the TV LED is plugged in, I need to first turn on the PC and then the TV.

If I do it the other way around, I won't have any signal at all and, all I get is a blank screen.

Most of the time -like 90%- the PC recognizes the TV while Windows is booting (I can see BIOS screen and all), but when Windows starts, I get a blank screen again.
The funny thing is that -once Windows started- when I turn off the TV LED, the PC recognizes the TV LED as connected.

So far, this is what I tried:
* Installed the GPU on another computer and worked fine.
* Installed the PSU on another computer and also worked fine.
* Installed another 500w PSU on my computer and sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.
* Tried the HDMI cable (which I just bought) and works fine with other devices and the TV LED.

For now, I made it work by uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers and run the card with the standard VGA drivers from Windows, and it seems to work fine. I can even turn the PC while the TV LED is on, and I get the signal on the TV.
But the image definition is really deficient.

I know that it seems that I found the solution to my problem, but what I wanted to ask you guys is if you know what the problem might be when I install the latest drivers from NVIDIA (or any NVIDIA drivers at all).

Is it a power issue and is my PSU dying?
Is my motherboard dying?
Is my video card dying?

I'm really at a loss here, and I will very much appreciate your help or any indications you may have.

Thanks a lot!

Reply 1 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would try older drivers . I can't recommend a specific version, but I would start with whatever is the oldest easily available for Windows 7 x64 for that card through https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx (R331 when I checked) .
Newer drivers won't give you much considering the card was under-powered for gaming even at launch .

If picture is intermittent even at boot, I would tstill ry another cable, just in case (unless the same cable worked fine when testing the 8400GS in another computer) .

Reply 2 of 6, by anb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-20, 04:12:

I would try older drivers . I can't recommend a specific version, but I would start with whatever is the oldest easily available for Windows 7 x64 for that card through https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx (R331 when I checked) .
Newer drivers won't give you much considering the card was under-powered for gaming even at launch .

If picture is intermittent even at boot, I would tstill ry another cable, just in case (unless the same cable worked fine when testing the 8400GS in another computer) .

Hi Darry,

Thank you so much for your answer.

I tried what you suggested and it kinds of works.

When I start Windows -even with the TV LED on- I get signal.

The only thing that is not working as it should is that when I turn off the TV LED -while the PC is running- and I turn it back on, I get the blank screen again, and I have to turn off and on my computer to make the screen work.

It seems as if the TV LED gets disconnected from the computer.

When this happens, my VGA screen -that I'm using while I try every single possibility- starts working as if its the only screen plugged in.

At this point, I checked on the NVIDIA Control Panel and -as before- if the TV LED is ON, I can't see it as connected, but when I turn the TV LED off, it appears as connected.

So, you kind of solve my problem.

Thank you so much for your suggestion and your help!

Have a nice day!

Reply 3 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Happy that it worked at least partially . Maybe even older drivers would work to fix the remaining issue .

I am no too sure how to find some, other than googling random release numbers and checking whether Geforce 8 family is supported (or simply trying to install them ).

Reply 4 of 6, by anb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, after a day of being able to use my TV LED -connected through HDMI, suddenly it stopped working again.

What it really makes me crazy is that when I have my TV LED turned off, I CAN see it on my PC as connected (I'm using a VGA screen to do al the tests) but when I turn the TV LED on it disappears from my control panel as if I unplugged it.

Could it be a power/energy issue?

Thanks again.

Edit: I attached a screenshot from my NVIDIA Control Panel. Maybe it helps.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    Filename
    01.jpg
    File size
    51.63 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot from my NVIDA Control Panel
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a long shot, but are the TV and PC plugged into the same elecrical circuit ? If not, try plugging them into the same power outlet/power bar temporarily and see if it makes a difference .

Maybe the issue could be caused by a ground loop .

Reply 6 of 6, by anb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-06-22, 04:08:

This is a long shot, but are the TV and PC plugged into the same elecrical circuit ? If not, try plugging them into the same power outlet/power bar temporarily and see if it makes a difference .

Maybe the issue could be caused by a ground loop .

Yes, they are.

The funny (?) thing is now that I have my VGA screen again connected, the HDMI screen is also working.

I think I'll get and DVI/HDMI adapter and see if that works.

Once again, thank you so much for your help!