VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

continuing from my posts there.

ok, this is pretty interesting: i decided to throw in another millennium card i have, not expecting much, but this one is a 2mb version with rev. B PCB (other one 4mb/rev. A), and perhaps more importantly, video BIOS here is 1.9 dated dec 13, 1995, which should be the original version. the version on the other card is 3.0, from 1998, if i remember correctly.

so the game runs on this card, but with some quirks. in the CLI output after running the game, it's detected as supporting VESA 2.0, but the ingame video mode selection menu is bugged: the first entry is a "0x0" which actually runs the game at 320x200. the second one is "320x200" but throws a black screen with an underscore, locking up the machine. ctrl+alt+del will just cause the screen to briefly flash green here. the other two ones are 640x400 and 640x480 and those seem to run just fine. all of them are listed as "flat" access despite saying "VESA 2.0 not found" at the bottom.

also noteworthy: when starting the game (and also after POST, i think), there is a brief moment of horizontal "tearing" in the top left corner on my CRT with this card/BIOS version that is not present with the v3.0 BIOS 4mb card.

Reply 1 of 1, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Chasm: The Rift uses non-standard timings for its 320x200 non-VESA mode. I've got a Savage4 with digital out and with this game my screen gave a signal out of bounds type message. After connecting it to my capture device I've noticed it's slightly off, I don't have the exact details.

Matrox cards VESA resolutions normally start at 640x400, so it makes sense that lower VESA resolutions don't work. Chasm shows a 320x200 VESA mode when using a S3 card. For later cards like the G200/G400 an utility named GX00VBE might help.

YouTube