VOGONS

First post, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it comes down to memory upgrade options for video cards, there are two cases in general:
1. Boards with sockets for memory chips.
2. Boards with available solder pads for memory chips.

The first type of boards are no brainer to upgrade. Insert the chips and thats it.
However the second type tends to be a problem.
I tried to upgrade few graphics cards by soldering additional memory chips, but their BIOS does not recognize the added memory.
My soldering skills are pretty alright, as well as the equipment I use, so mechanically and electrically the execution is good, but still no extra RAM recognized.
I started looking at the BIOS codes to see if there is something in there, but this will take bigger effort than just "looked at".
Searched around, but couldn't find useful information, or perhaps my keywords are bad. Anyway.
Any hints ?
Thanks

retro bits and bytes

Reply 2 of 11, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, finding exact counterparts of the video cards in question is not easy, at least I never saw ones out there.
But I tried swapping different BIOSes - using ones from 2Mb versions and they still dont see the extra RAM.
Kind of weird, because apart from the empty pads there are no unpopulated placeholders for other elements.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 3 of 11, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sometimes the cards are laid out for different memory package types, and one or the other is installed, but they're not meant to have both populated.
other times there are also some passive components that need to be populated in addition to the memory.

what card are you talking about in particular?

Reply 4 of 11, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What card/chip are you trying to upgrade?

Maybe it needs something (i.e. a short between two pads or cutting a jumper) to work with more memory.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 11, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

might need a different bios, might need other parts populated, hard to tell without manual... I saw some cards with a 3rd resistor network on the top.

mine also only has one bank soldered (SOJ40)

Reply 8 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't bother with it. It's a low end card and 2MB won't do any good.

Here is a photo of a 2MB configuration with other chips:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9YcAAOSwZi5eL2oL/s-l1600.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10 of 11, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that R22 may be related to 2mb configuration, but no way to be sure (except you get the schematics). Also there are some other resistors unpopulated that may change card behaviour, and those resistors packs are placed at different places on the "bigger chips" card.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!