VOGONS

First post, by Flukymatt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK So there is alot of posts similar to this but I wanted post my own as it includes my hardware and games I hope to play.

My PC
P3 1.0ghz
512mb Ram
120gb HDD
Windows 98SE
Sound Blaster 16 (finally sound in Win & DOS!)
Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head Max
Gigabyte 6VTXE Socket 370 mobo
AGP 4x support

Right, so the Matrox is good but I want to ensure things like the things listed are running great and looking their best;

Unreal
Carmageddon 2 HW mode
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Quake III Arena (currently a little choppy)
BUILD engine games
Wolfenstein 3D
DOS pinball games and general DOS games
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (currently a little choppy)
POD
Megarace
Any 3DFX games - I don't understand this yet, can I use an OpenGL card?

Any suggestions based on my hardware and games?

Reply 2 of 7, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the cpu Coppermine or tualatin?

Anyways, I think the gf4 ti 4600 or 4800 will be a great choice. Fast, Windows drivers can still be pretty low version ( =lower CPU impact) and support is great. Also vesa is supported very well, although not as good as the slower TNT(2) and gf2. If you go voodoo, it could be the V3 3000. Perfect vesa support and fairly reasonable performance in Windows 98 for your setup (but slower than gf4 ti) forgot about newer voodoo except if you already got a 5 series or willing to spend half a months wage on it.

For glide you could get soft emulation (nGlide), your system should be fast enough with the gf4.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 3 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For glide you could get soft emulation (nGlide)

Easier to use Glide wrapper.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah the way to go with DirectX 8 cards is zeckensack's Glide wrapper . It is OpenGL-based and highly optimized for cards of that era and is superb with many games. You really need to have Direct3D 8/OpenGL 1.3 hardware as a minimum to get full-featured Glide wrapping/emulation.

Reply 5 of 7, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cheap GeForce4 MX will do. Look for better MX440/MX460 models with 128bit memory bus. And with bit of a luck you can even find a card with passive cooling 😀

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 6 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cheap GeForce 4 MX won't do. You can't emulate Glide correctly with DX7 cards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 7, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, that motherboard has plenty of PCI slots, wouldn't be better to just throw a 3dfx card there? And on the other hand, if glide wrapper is chosen, wouldn't be GeForce FX more suitable? (Instead of GeForce 4 Ti)

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz