Radeon 9700 Pro - Artifacts on Boot

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nwsw wrote on 2020-08-09, 04:17:
austinham wrote on 2020-08-09, 01:32:

I would still try looking into other problems the card may have. wile many 9700's have died from overheating and failed BGAs, that may not be the problem, althoug it is likely the prob,en given the fan does not spin . There could be a missing SMD or cut trace somewhere. Or the RAMDAC could be bad so try DVI. And don't toss out the idea of baking the card. Wile baking a card is a often a temp fix, sometimes its lasts for quite some time.

Thanks, I'll dig out a DVI to VGA adapter and give that a shot. I'm not going to oven it based on the fact I don't have one to stop cooking food in. 😀

DVI to VGA adapter will still go through the ramdac

Reply 21 of 23, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
austinham wrote on 2020-09-09, 19:13:
nwsw wrote on 2020-08-09, 04:17:
austinham wrote on 2020-08-09, 01:32:

I would still try looking into other problems the card may have. wile many 9700's have died from overheating and failed BGAs, that may not be the problem, althoug it is likely the prob,en given the fan does not spin . There could be a missing SMD or cut trace somewhere. Or the RAMDAC could be bad so try DVI. And don't toss out the idea of baking the card. Wile baking a card is a often a temp fix, sometimes its lasts for quite some time.

Thanks, I'll dig out a DVI to VGA adapter and give that a shot. I'm not going to oven it based on the fact I don't have one to stop cooking food in. 😀

DVI to VGA adapter will still go through the ramdac

Indeed, the DVI-I to VGA adapters bundled with most video cards are passive and the VGA signal still comes out of the RAMDAC .

Try it on DVI or HDMI equipped monitor instead. That is sure to not use the RAMDAC . If that works well and you want to use a VGA monitor with the card, you will need to get an active DVI/HDMI to VGA converter . Finding one that supports standard VGA 70Hz modes might be a bit challenging, though .