VOGONS

First post, by mbliss11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone! I recently acquired a Voodoo 3 PCI that I was going to throw into my Socket 5 Dell Optiplex Gl5100. Posts fine and displays under my DOS installation at 320x200 normally but anything higher res I get corruption and really horrendous performance. Card works great in my Pentium 3 Tualatin build. Trying to determine the cause. Perhaps older version of PCI standard? Other cards of the era work fine with it (have run a Riva TNT M64 and a Gefore4 MX400 no problems). Anyone run into something similar? I attached a few photos of PlayerBench at 640x480.

Voodoo 3 1.jpg
Filename
Voodoo 3 1.jpg
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Voodoo 3 2.jpg
Filename
Voodoo 3 2.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have the GL5100 set up with a SD to IDE adapter and have different OS installations on different Cards. Interestingly if I were to run the Dosbench benchmarks within Windows they run and work fine. The moment I try to use Dos or boot into Dos Mode and run anything higher than 320/200 the issue comes up. I also tried booting from a boot disk to see if my DOS installation was borking it somehow but that showed the same behavior. Right now it has a powerleap adapter running a K6-3 400 and a modified BIOS for the adapter figured that could have been the issue as well. I rolled back to the non-modified BIOS and also swapped out the CPU with a Pentium 200 MMX Overdrive and a Pentium 100 and the same issue there as well.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Was really looking forward to using the Voodoo3 in this machine and then swapping out hardware based on the OS I wanted to use (example - DOS P100, Win95 Pentium MMX 200 and the Win98 K6-3 400 and switching out video cards as well).

Reply 2 of 3, by mbliss11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Serpent Rider! Thanks for the suggestion and I think you are on to something. No luck with NOLFB but I used HWINFO to check out details of the card and when I launch benchmarks and other tests sure enough everything works just fine. Wondering if HWINFO has UNIVBE or something similar. I am going to try out a few other tools and see where that leads me. Thanks again for replying much appreciated!

Reply 3 of 3, by mbliss11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After more research I stumbled upon this post with someone having similar issues to what I am experiencing but with a Voodoo5

Voodoo5 Pure DOS VESA/VBE 3.0 Issues

He ran HWINFO and everything seemed to work after that. Super super strange. There was a tool from Scitech that he used which I am going to explore some more this evening.