VOGONS

First post, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

Recently won this card on eBay for a pittance, it's a great card but for some reason the output is smeared on dark areas. Any black lines smear across quite heavily. Physically the card appears to be in excellent shape and there's no missing components.

I don't have actual pictures of the card (bad lighting at the moment) but it basically looks as these pics:

http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/els … _tnt2_front.jpg

http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/els … a_tnt2_back.jpg

I've attached an image of the output I see (ignore the red line, that's just the crappy LCD I'm using).

Where should I be looking on here?

Attachments

• IMG_5242.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_5242.jpg
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 8, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BastlerMike wrote on 2020-08-20, 23:51:

I habe exactly the same Problem with an Elsa Erazor X2 card although it is in excellent shape.

Ah bugger. I wonder what the issue is! I just tried removing the filtering caps (C9, C10, C11) but it didn't make any difference.

Reply 5 of 8, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried readjusting the VGA cable? That's pretty bad for it to be the cable but my ghosting seems to get better or worse depending on adjusting the cable.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 6 of 8, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-08-23, 19:16:

Have you tried readjusting the VGA cable? That's pretty bad for it to be the cable but my ghosting seems to get better or worse depending on adjusting the cable.

I can confirm it's not the cable as switching to another card resolves the issue. Someone else has posted the same issue, it appears to be a problem either with the RAMDAC or the nearby circuitry I think.

Reply 7 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have GeForce 256 with the same issue, so I'm starting to think that it's rare RAMDAC hardware failure on early Nvidia cards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 8, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-08-24, 20:29:

I have GeForce 256 with the same issue, so I'm starting to think that it's rare RAMDAC hardware failure on early Nvidia cards.

Ahh poop, it does look that way.

I wonder if the signal can be rectified in some way; I guess not though!