VOGONS

First post, by LittleBubble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a Voodoo3 3000 AGP 16MB ram.

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-voodoo-3.html

I have downloaded the drivers from phil but he never benchmarked them one against the other in any of his videos so I wonder if one version is "better" over the other.

Here is my experience, all drivers prior to the WHQL worked fine, with that it was like it needed a new msi installer or something and could not be installed. I could not notice any speed difference in Quake1/Quake2.

With the 3rd party x3dfx there are more options in the Voodoo3 control panel so this seems to be the "best" option.

My main issue with these drivers that for some reason the only resolution in both 16BPP and 32BPP is 640x480.
With the exact same machine Windows XPSP3 installed to another HDD using the Amigasportfinal3 XP driver I can have a lot higher resolutions, according to the datasheet:

Max Resolution
2048 x 1536

So I assume it is related to the Win98 driver. My other question is would you even recommend installing any higher DirectX version than the built in Directx 6 which comes with Win98SE? I doubt that the Voodoo3 would take advantage of them and they should be backward compatible but I wonder if it has any performance impact of installing DirectX9C for example?

Quake1/2 works out of the box with opengl/3dfx however Quake III fails to initialize the OpenGL subsystem. I have downloaded some Voodoo3 test demo with Q3 which just works fine so what is the way to get the regular latest version of Quake III with OSP to work with the card?

Thanks

Last edited by LittleBubble on 2020-09-03, 22:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Under Windows98 SE, I had the best performance with the latest official driver - version 1.07.00 paired with DirectX 7.0a. Here's a comprehensive list of Voodoo3 drivers.

As for Quake and other OpenGL games, try using MiniGL, if you haven't already. Which version to use depends on your CPU. The latest one is 1.49 but from what I understand, it's optimized for Athlon processors. So if you're using something like a Pentium MMX, you may want to try an older version of MiniGL.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not sure about the latest driver...but DX7.0a is the right choice. There was another tweaked ogl-driver-package that I highly recommend. It's called wicked-gl.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 3 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LittleBubble wrote on 2020-09-02, 06:46:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I have a Voodoo3 3000 AGP 16MB ram.

7LYsdTqy7mRmpRVoQuRt_msUC8pX_xwjRNOVM3vG29e5xfuxE8SeiMsD3DMRH2L1Gu06WG8pD5MF1hPcwjkZjTYz2eaCLjbg9FDGg6L5cEv19R_BB3mKdJ_Grl2eM7a-s5hNfxNxt3s9aLiA

Hello, moderator here.

BTW, you messed up your photo embed from Google.

If it's hosted on Google Photos, try this: Re: Televideo Telewave Audio 32 sound card, questions about its onboard wavetable ROM

If it's on Google Drive, there's something else to do instead.

OR you could always attach the photo.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 7, by LittleBubble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-09-02, 07:17:

Under Windows98 SE, I had the best performance with the latest official driver - version 1.07.00 paired with DirectX 7.0a. Here's a comprehensive list of Voodoo3 drivers.

As for Quake and other OpenGL games, try using MiniGL, if you haven't already. Which version to use depends on your CPU. The latest one is 1.49 but from what I understand, it's optimized for Athlon processors. So if you're using something like a Pentium MMX, you may want to try an older version of MiniGL.

Thanks for the good advice. With the games the difference is not that much visible however with the bouncing ball 3dfx demo I can see a difference using the pair combination you have mentioned. With the old one I used the spinning of the room visibly sometimes stop for half sec.

About the MiniGL, yes it's a stronger AthlonXP box so that driver would be perfect for me, after downloading I only found DLLs in the package, the install instructions mentioned that it should have an installer exe which automatically detects the games so I just go an 1.48 version (what others recommend for the Voodoo 3) but even this only detected Quake2 (which was working already with both the 3dfx and opengl driver).

Also this does not solve my base resolution problem in Win98 which stays 640x480 for some reason, not like I would need lot higher resolutions but at least 800x600 and 1024x768 would be nice. Interestingly I can set higher resolutions in Quake 2 but they seem to have no effect on the game itself just the menu looks weird.

Reply 5 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LittleBubble wrote on 2020-09-03, 23:00:

About the MiniGL, yes it's a stronger AthlonXP box so that driver would be perfect for me, after downloading I only found DLLs in the package, the install instructions mentioned that it should have an installer exe which automatically detects the games so I just go an 1.48 version (what others recommend for the Voodoo 3) but even this only detected Quake2 (which was working already with both the 3dfx and opengl driver).

I think you just need to copy the relevant DLLs to the game folders and overwrite the existing ones of the same name. It's been a while since I did this so I could be wrong. Also, as you're running an AthlonXP, you might want to take a look at AMD's 3DNow! patch for Quake 2.

Also this does not solve my base resolution problem in Win98 which stays 640x480 for some reason, not like I would need lot higher resolutions but at least 800x600 and 1024x768 would be nice. Interestingly I can set higher resolutions in Quake 2 but they seem to have no effect on the game itself just the menu looks weird.

Strange, I recall being able to run Quake2 at least in 1024x768 without any issues on my Voodoo3. It sounds like something else is not installed correctly on your setup, possibly the chipset drivers for your motherboard.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 7, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-09-04, 03:00:
I think you just need to copy the relevant DLLs to the game folders and overwrite the existing ones of the same name. It's been […]
Show full quote
LittleBubble wrote on 2020-09-03, 23:00:

I think you just need to copy the relevant DLLs to the game folders and overwrite the existing ones of the same name. It's been a while since I did this so I could be wrong. Also, as you're running an AthlonXP, you might want to take a look at AMD's 3DNow! patch for Quake 2.

Strange, I recall being able to run Quake2 at least in 1024x768 without any issues on my Voodoo3. It sounds like something else is not installed correctly on your setup, possibly the chipset drivers for your motherboard.

Hmm, yes, I believe there´s chance it could be the chipset drivers. It happened to me with a Voodoo Banshee, that wouldn´t go higher than 640x480 on desktop. After reinstalling the i440 chipset it started working properly.

Reply 7 of 7, by LittleBubble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok it worked out at the end. The problem with the monitor was that I just left the default PNP Generic monitor installed. I have switched to SVGA 1024x768 and the resolutions work fine. For this LCD I using there is no win98 driver anymore anyway.

I have also managed to get Quake III working with this tutorial: http://quake3tweaks.tripod.com/homepage.html

r_gldriver 3dfxogl

works nicely, with the 1.48 and 1.49 minigl I could not get it to work, I copied the opengl32.dll into the Quake3. Eventually the game started but I got purple screen for 5 seconds then it quit.
With the 3dfxogl I get 60-100FPS with some dropdowns to 30s.