VOGONS

Reply 80 of 159, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll consider that. I'm still waiting for the PCBs. I might do one with sockets and one without, assuming I can get the notch in the sockets seemless. I don't want the final product to look like crap. My main reason for wanting the sockets is for easy swap-outs of DRAM, plus I think the sockets will make the board look less "plain".

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 81 of 159, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SOJ Socket, i have written already: i didn't like PLCC Socket. Sorry, i wouldn't plan add space for socket.

A pleas from me: If our paid me with fee (buyer procetion), pleas make consider that i got excatly price, which i have called it.
Otherwise, i make zero win/loss and i didn't like sell PCB again. I haven't take care this on one people and i t is aleardy shipped.

Yet 8 pcb left.

Reply 82 of 159, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

heh good reason for me to start keeping trio64v+ PCI cards as I see them, I stopped taking them a while ago and there's about five sitting at one of my sources

I'd take three of the PCBs but sadly can't DM yet. if there's another way I can contact lmk.

Reply 83 of 159, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

also might be why someone bought one of these dodos off me a little while ago, I have a few still around. I guess the 40ns DRAMs on them might be worth the $10 I sold it for at least.

s3trio64v2-dx.jpg
Filename
s3trio64v2-dx.jpg
File size
301.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 85 of 159, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did know, many people can't solder fine part.

But i can soldering Trio64V+ VLB card for people with a condition: I got a (interessing) VLB card as swap for this card. (of coruse, i tell: No, if i become offer with Cirrus logic 542x /Trident, etc. )
Reason: Build of card is a time eater and trade with interessing VLB card make me more glad as money 😉
Sorry for this condition.

Actually, no compoment (no DRAM, no PC bracket, etc.) for build of card left, but it is not impossible.

regards
matt

Reply 88 of 159, by jbenam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Madao wrote on 2021-11-04, 06:11:

5 pcb avaible.

I keep small batch pcb for me and friends for build of card and probably a virge prototype #2

Did you receive my PM? I think a bare PCB should be enough for me. Is there a BOM I can look at? Or the donor Trio64+ will cover everything I need?

Thanks!

Reply 90 of 159, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes there's a BOM. I'm not sure if Madao wants it posted to the thread??? I reformatted his BOM so it prints well for me. Note that there are now about a half dozen items on his BOM that are on backorder with Mouser, but you can find substitutes.

I just ordered all my components for two PCBs. If anyone is curious, the parts total comes to (in Canadian Dollars):

$59.42 CAD for all the small IC's and components on Mouser - times 2 pieces.
$12 Mouser tax
$22 for solder paste
$24 for 2x NOS Trio64V+ ICs
$20 if you want to buy NOS EDO modules (for 10 pieces)
$35 for two PCBs
-----
$172.42 CAD = $139 USD for 2, or $70 for 1 unit, or $61 USD per build if you don't need the solder paste. Note that I needed to get my Mouser order above $100 CAD to avoid the $20 shipping fee. I ordered solder paste and syringe tips to get to $101 CAD.

Last edited by feipoa on 2021-11-04, 22:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 91 of 159, by jbenam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Madao wrote on 2021-11-04, 16:38:

i didn't got a PM from you, pleas write me again.

Huh, sent another PM. Please let me know if you receive this one 😀

feipoa wrote on 2021-11-04, 21:11:
Yes there's a BOM. I'm not sure if Madao wants it posted to the thread??? I reformatted his BOM so it prints well for me. Note […]
Show full quote

Yes there's a BOM. I'm not sure if Madao wants it posted to the thread??? I reformatted his BOM so it prints well for me. Note that there are now about a half dozen items on his BOM that are on backorder with Mouser, but you can find substitutes.

I just ordered all my components for two PCBs. If anyone is curious, the parts total comes to (in Canadian Dollars):

$59.42 CAD for two units, small ICs only on Mouser
$12 Mouser tax
$22 for solder paste
$24 for 2x NOS Trio64V+ ICs
$20 if you want to buy NOS EDO modules (for 10 pieces)
$35 for two PCBs
-----
$172.42 CAD = $139 USD for 2, or $70 for 1 unit, or $61 USD per build if you don't need the solder paste.

Thanks for sharing the total cost of the project. I already have solder paste, along with a donor Trio64V+ card. Hopefully that should cut on the required materials?

Reply 92 of 159, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@feiopa

I have loose a bit overview. I can tell: i put by most pcb for here 74F245 TTL (Reason: i have over 100 piece small TSSOP bus driver and i want used it up)
This can help our keep price a bit low.

I have kit price of 45€ (~ $50 ), if i make order with lot of 20 pieces kit. And some small compoment count is 100 instead 40 (reason is batch price by mouser)
(Indeed, price with S3 Chip and EDO DRAM was lower as by you )

You know why, i didn't puplished csv file: I'll never puplished their gerber file, sorry. I have make decision. It is a very profiable stuff with risk of misuse by commercial shop. I have talk with few people about puplishing of gerber file: All said: NO ! But i'll make and sell PCB with CSV file.

regards
matt

Reply 93 of 159, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the most part, I just ordered exactly the quantity I needed, except where it was cheaper to order 10 pieces. 100 pieces is more ideal, but I'd have no need for them.

PCB's arrived very quickly and look slick! Gold for all solder points? Interesting.

Probably is a good idea to keep the gerber file private; for now anyway.

I have a question from the BOM. For the EDO RAM, it says "256kx16 EDO DRAM SOJ-40 max 50ns". When you say the maximum is 50 ns, meaning we can only use 50ns+ modules, e.g. 50, 60, 70? Or do you mean the minimum is 50 ns, meaning we should use 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 ns modules?

Reply 94 of 159, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2021-11-05, 09:07:

PCB's arrived very quickly and look slick! Gold for all solder points? Interesting.

it's called ENIG, it's an immersion coating

Reply 97 of 159, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2021-11-05, 09:07:
For the most part, I just ordered exactly the quantity I needed, except where it was cheaper to order 10 pieces. 100 pieces is […]
Show full quote

For the most part, I just ordered exactly the quantity I needed, except where it was cheaper to order 10 pieces. 100 pieces is more ideal, but I'd have no need for them.

Probably is a good idea to keep the gerber file private; for now anyway.

I have a question from the BOM. For the EDO RAM, it says "256kx16 EDO DRAM SOJ-40 max 50ns". When you say the maximum is 50 ns, meaning we can only use 50ns+ modules, e.g. 50, 60, 70? Or do you mean the minimum is 50 ns, meaning we should use 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 ns modules?

This fact with faster than 50ns DRAM is now not correct.
Reason: I have playing with DRAM from couple worthless ATI/S3 card.
If you use "highspeed.rom" -> You can use 70ns DRAM -> no problem. Recommend 60ns or faster. (It came from Gainward Card with fake-50ns DRAM, a bit bad programmed ROM with high memory throughput)
Other: STB Powergraph P64V-ROM, it runs well with 60ns DRAM. (i haven't check with 70ns DRAM)

Reply 98 of 159, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd assume if you have 40ns parts that match the other criteria of 16 bit / 4 mbit, they should work ok since 50ns work fine, ie EDO off random trio64v2/dx or whatever

they should underclock ok, or might be fake parts that are actually 50-60ns as mentioned