VOGONS

Reply 22 of 37, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If they're legit ICs (not fakes or broken pulls) they should work. If shipping takes a long time and you're impatient, you could at least temporarily use an EEPROM from a donor card. Some TNT2 cards have this exact EEPROM, like https://www.ebay.com/itm/InsideTNC-Dream-nVid … XoAAOSwsxFeSaOc . Probably many other cards of the same vintage have it as well.

Forgot to mention, AT49BV512 should also work.

Reply 24 of 37, by mmmark84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

on second thought, I might as wel order and wait for new ones from china. dunno if I can recover such an IC with the tools I have, while still being usable.
We got some rework stuff at my office with heatgun, but why even risk it 😀

Reply 25 of 37, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, to be honest I am not an expert on external flash programmers. I have one of the chinese clones of TL866 II - that one would definitely work. The simple and cheap ones, I have no idea.

You can flash the new (empty chip) on the V5 itself, sure. I did the same on the defective Banshee (at the time I didn't have the TL866). There is a catch however. The 3dfx flash application only supports few selected chips. I have a list that I found somewhere. Maybe it is complete, maybe not... anyway:

Atmel: 29010, 49F010, 49BV512, 29LV512
SST: 29LE512, 29EE010, 39SF010, 39VF512
AMD: 29010

So It is best to get one of these if you intend to flash it on the card.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 29 of 37, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going to say this was to be expected but recapping a ~20 year old card can't hurt so best case after the EEPROM swap it'll be like new again! 😀

BTW: I do believe that if you have a motherboard with a EEPROM socket of the same footprint (your CUSL2-C may even have one) you can use that with uniflash to hot flash the EEPROM like a motherboard BIOS. Just saying. 😉

Reply 31 of 37, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@mmmark84, IDK if you flashed BIOS version 1.18 or 1.18.b03, but assuming you flashed the later, modded BIOS, it might be that the card is running at an incorrect clock speed for both the GPU and memory (as with 3dfx cards, the clocks speeds for each are linked). I've noticed that the settings for the built-in clock-adjustment utility in that later modded BIOS can get corrupted, but a simple reset of them can fix any graphical issues you are having as a result.

If you can access the firmware's menu by hitting F1 with a PS/2 keyboard (USB doesn't initialize until you hit the POST screen on my PIII-S motherboard, so PS/2 is your best bet), make sure your settings are set as such:
QMh9V8ul.jpg

Otherwise, if you can't get into the menu, or would like to do it a bit more quickly, just hit F2 when you get to the VBIOS screen, and it'll reset the clocks to default.

If you actually flashed the official 1.18 BIOS, then not sure if I can help.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 32 of 37, by mmmark84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thnx for the tip! I tried several bios versions, the original (1.06), the 1.06 from supplied site, the 1.18 and 1.18 modified versions. all several times. I started with the official 1.18 however.
Everytime I made a dump of the firmware of the card, something in the data is at wrong spots and a few bytes are not what they need to be.

When the EEPROM chips arive, I will continue this venture and will sure to set the speeds according to your screenshot 😀

Reply 37 of 37, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I might of missed it but did you try putting pressure on ram chips and the the cores while on? It helped me with a Ti4600. Might help, just remember to touch the case first to avoid static build up.

Seeing as it's two chips in hardware based SLI and half your screen is bad in stripes.. Would that indicate one chip has an issue while the other is good? I forget the rendering pattern for 3DFX SLI and I am a Voodoo 5 noob so might be a stupid idea.