VOGONS

History of nVIDIA Graphics cards Vol. 1

Topic actions

Reply 85 of 90, by yjfy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It can be seen from the previous graphics cards that all manufacturers have not completely copied the original nVIDIA design, at most they only partially borrowed from the original nVIDIA design. Even the public version launched by nVIDIA is not directly used by manufacturers. In addition to the fact that each manufacturer deliberately retains its own unique design concepts and styles, the design and use cycle of graphics cards is long, and everyone still has time to spend on design. But this time that can be consumed is gradually shortening. Big factories like STB and Dimeng were acquired in the TNT era. After entering the GPU era, graphics cards are updated faster, and manufacturers have to accept nVIDIA's public version design. Graphics cards that do not use the public version design are almost all shrunk designs and become synonymous with low-end graphics cards. So far, almost all the graphics cards look exactly the same, the only difference is the fan and heat sink. Therefore, the history of nVIDIA graphics cards introduced in the following chapters will be based on nVIDIA’s evaluation boards and reference versions.

.End.

Reply 86 of 90, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yjfy wrote on 2020-11-05, 01:59:

1.2.3.5 NEC version

(From CompaqGuy youtube.com )

Assuming you meant RetroCompaqGuy... I believe that's vetz here on VOGONS. 😀

I have been wondering since 2016 who it was who did the Apple QuickDraw 3D Acceleration Card in 1995 and later left to go work for Nvidia: Re: Apple QuickDraw 3D Accelerator Card
Depending on when this happened... it could even have been one or more of Nvidia's founders, I don't think it was tho.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 87 of 90, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yjfy wrote on 2020-11-05, 01:35:

History of nVIDIA Graphics cards Vol. 1

Very impressive!

Back then I was quite surprised that Diamond was acquired by someone, they seemed to always make solid cards and had a good name in The Netherlands at the time. My first graphics card was the Viper V550 TNT.

Very nice collection of pics alongside with tidbits of information 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 88 of 90, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yjfy wrote on 2020-11-05, 01:59:

1.2.3.5 NEC version

(From CompaqGuy youtube.com )

Nice list!

I can provide better pictures of that box if needed

I also have some pictures saved from Ebay (non-Diamond NV1 cards) during the years which may have better pictures, I'll find them and upload to this thread

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 89 of 90, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dXy8eTog.jpeg
Filename
dXy8eTog.jpeg
File size
15.12 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

VideoForte box (unknown source)

25c55df7db13c83e2c87a3d2529b114f.jpg
Filename
25c55df7db13c83e2c87a3d2529b114f.jpg
File size
77.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

"3D Multimedia" box (Turbo 2000B VER F2 ebay picture)
It looks like this box were also used for other generic cards, like seen on Batyra's site:
https://collection.batyra.pl/graphics/nvidia/jrs-3ds100

These two came from an Ebay auction. Notice special BIOS sticker and the NV1 CD. I contacted the seller to inquire what was on it, but he had no interest in checking and would not provide info or forward information to the winner of the auction.

J79rMx8V.jpeg
Filename
J79rMx8V.jpeg
File size
76.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
bZPte4h-.jpeg
Filename
bZPte4h-.jpeg
File size
125.21 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I believe that disc contained the NV1 SDK/press kit as it has many of the same features as seen here:

Sega Nvidia NV1 Press Kit.jpeg
Filename
Sega Nvidia NV1 Press Kit.jpeg
File size
47.71 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes