VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up Diamond SpeedStar24 ISA video card with BIOS version 5.01, but every test I run only indicates a 256 color RAMDAC, including Tseng Labs own VESA driver and UNIVBE. The RAMDAC is a Samsung KDA0476PL-80. The datasheet seem to indicate that is truly only capable of 256 colors. I have seen in this post that this RAMDAC has show up in other Diamond SpeedStar24 cards.

ET4000AX variants

So was the RAMDAC swapped out for a 256 color one or is something else going on? I am just trying to find out why a supposed 24-bit color card is only producing 256 colors.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0754.JPG
    File size
    218.32 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Diamond SpeedStar24
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 24, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I had to guess, Diamond simply made several different versions using the same board and stencil.
I've seen versions of the SpeedSTAR 24 with a Sierra SC11483 15-bit DAC too.
Fitting a 24-bit capable RAMDAC (try looking for the SS2410 or Music MU9c1880, those are the same chips that the 24-bit DAC the 'high end' versions came with) ought to give you the higher color depths you want.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 2 of 24, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eep386 wrote on 2020-11-07, 18:36:

If I had to guess, Diamond simply made several different versions using the same board and stencil.
I've seen versions of the SpeedSTAR 24 with a Sierra SC11483 15-bit DAC too.
Fitting a 24-bit capable RAMDAC (try looking for the SS2410 or Music MU9c1880, those are the same chips that the 24-bit DAC the 'high end' versions came with) ought to give you the higher color depths you want.

I will just swap out the RAMDAC for one of those that you suggested. Thanks!

Reply 3 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, there were at least three variants of SpeedSTAR24, see the pictures in this thread:
Diamond Speedstar24 Bios versions

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 24, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2020-11-07, 21:25:

Yes, there were at least three variants of SpeedSTAR24, see the pictures in this thread:
Diamond Speedstar24 Bios versions

Thank you for pointing out that thread. It appears that different RAMDACs may require specific BIOS from Diamond to work properly. I could put another RAMDAC in only find out I am no better off. I am just going to run the card with 256 colors. It is currently in a Tandy 1000 TL/2 anyway. I have a Micro-Labs ET4000AX board with an AT&T 24-bit RAMDAC I can you use for other builds. Glad I asked about this card.

Reply 5 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a SpeedStar24 with the 15bit SC11483CV-80 DAC:

DDOAzti.png

if you get one I can dump the bios so you can at least use 32K modes

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 24, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just out of curiosity I am doing some searching for a SS2410 or a Music MU9c1880 RAMDAC for purchase. So far I can't find anything. I checked Digikey, AliExpress, JameCo and eBay, plus searching on Google. Any ideas where to find one of these? If one is not too expensive, it may be worth trying to swap the RAMDAC after all. I remember putting in a HiColor RAMDAC in my Orchid Prodesigner II ET4000AX many years ago. It worked without a BIOS update.

Reply 7 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should be possible to use >8-bpp modes even without upgrading the BIOS, by using UniVBE.
UniVBE is good at detecting the RAMDAC, and if not, it's possible to select one manually:

uvconfig_000.png
Filename
uvconfig_000.png
File size
5.07 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Still, it would be a good idea to do the BIOS upgrade, as there's some software which uses non-VBE modes.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 8 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SS2410 was a DAC made for diamond or a rebranded one - I doubt you'll find that
the 15bit one should be available and in reality it will be fine for an isa card

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 24, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2020-11-07, 22:13:
I have a SpeedStar24 with the 15bit SC11483CV-80 DAC: […]
Show full quote

I have a SpeedStar24 with the 15bit SC11483CV-80 DAC:

DDOAzti.png

if you get one I can dump the bios so you can at least use 32K modes

please dump them! I'd love to give a 15bit DAC a try in my card

BTW please dump the actual EPROMs in a programmer, software dump is not helpful here since they are encoded

Reply 12 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm surprised and wonder - what are >256c acctually being used for? Photoshop? watching Video CDs?

I always sticked to 256c, because that colour depth fits so nicely to applications of this era.
For example, colour-cycling works nicely in 256c.
It's also causing less overhead on ISA bus.

This is no critique, I'm simply surprised. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

24-bpp is highly recommended for viewing JPEG picures, ray-tracing, etc.

Reply 14 of 24, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting topic.

I happen to have 2 of these cards. One with 24-bit DAC and a second with 8-bit one.

24bit
286_et4000ax.jpg

8bit
et4000ax_8bit_dac.jpg

They are identical, except a "made in USA" print.

The second card produces subtle and hard to describe with just words incorrect background color fill during palette transitions in some games. Where it should be black it is sometimes dark blue.
Not sure if this is because of the .01 difference in the BIOS between the two cards, or maybe it is the DAC. The problem is so minor that i never bothered to investigate.
Other than that i didn't actually notice much difference in picture quality, but i use them mostly on 286 and 386 class computers where 8bit graphics are the norm and there is a chance i missed something obvious.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 16 of 24, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Captured 2 short videos from Wolf3D running on a 286 PC:

This one shows the video card with 24 bit DAC and BIOS version 5.01:
https://www.petershipkov.com/temp/retro_pc_im … x_24bit_dac.mp4

And another one showing the card with 8 bit DAC and BIOS version 5.00:
https://www.petershipkov.com/temp/retro_pc_im … ax_8bit_dac.mp4

Notice the blue color fill flashes.
I cannot remember which other 2 or 3 games i have seen this artefact in.
Was it Indiana Jones and the faith of Atlantis ?

I never looked at what may be causing this minor issue, so take the info for what it is.

retro bits and bytes