VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
im trying to make Voodoo 1 working with SS7 machine - ALi chipset, i installed some chipset drivers for it, i never had it, i had back in time only Voodoo2 and newer.

Im not 100% sure that card is ok, but it seems to be, i expected that it would be piece of cake, but met some unknown problems. Card has Diamond logo on it, so its probably Diamond Monster 3D.

Card is working fine with DOS - Q2DOS with 3Dfx libs, card is working fine with WinXP and inbuild 3Dfx drivers - with GL quake (i had to copy opengl32.dll from Hexen 2 demo folder) and with Hexen 2 demo, Quake 2 demo, its not working with Quake 3 demo - problem to inicialize 3D.. Monitor is LCD - DELL2007.

I tried various 2D - card Cirrus Login 5430/5440, S3 virge, now im using S3 Trio64.

With Windows 98SE eng. im using some game demos install as with WinXP, so its not data corruption. Im not able to run any 3D app, only dxdiag - Direct3D test is working - cube is rendered.
I tried all drivers from Phils Voodoo 1 drivers page:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-voodoo.html

For starter, i used only Windows 3Dfx drivers, driver is always installed fine, but its not working. Error is usually something about bad pixel format or bad VXD version - 1.2 expected 1.4 or something like that.
- its the same with older 3Dfx drivers and its in-build Diamond driver.
- when i tried Diamond driver from Phils pages, its not compatible with my installation, after install in get message that some MSVC.. windows library is broken and that i have to reinstall Windows, i tried it multiple times, installer is doing something really bad.
- when i tried unofficial Iceman drivers, i had black screen shortly after Fraps started with system, when i removed Fraps, it booted ok, but i have black screen after 3D games start..

In Iceman driver description i read, that is somehow made for DX6.. so started to thing that it could be too new DX problem, i found some downgrader and got down to DX 6.1 i dont thing that i could go to something even older. But with XP, i have using DX 8 /9 fine.. so problem could be elsewhere..

There could be some leftovers from Geforce 3 card on this system and from nGLide (uninstalled but you now).

Now i need some hints..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 2, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are some pictures..

You can see, that Quake 3 demo is asking for some not existing file, also during installation im asked to rewrite some MSVC*.dll, im always choosing keep newer version could it be problem? But if im not wrong that is exactly file, which is broken after Diamond drivers install, because they dont ask and probably rewrite file with some old version..

Attachments

• 2020-11-12 19.31.25.jpg
    Filename
    2020-11-12 19.31.25.jpg
    File size
    241.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 2020-11-12 19.26.36.jpg
    Filename
    2020-11-12 19.26.36.jpg
    File size
    441.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2020-11-12 19.25.25.jpg
    Filename
    2020-11-12 19.25.25.jpg
    File size
    331.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2020-11-12 19.24.57.jpg
    Filename
    2020-11-12 19.24.57.jpg
    File size
    375.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2020-11-12 19.24.14.jpg
    Filename
    2020-11-12 19.24.14.jpg
    File size
    230.03 KiB
    Views
    File license

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 2 of 2, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, i won, this helped:
https://groups.google.com/g/3dfx.games.glquak … /m/oyYKd90CrA8J // Because Google groups iis using very awfull interface for messages, you have to click on message to see whole message..

Problem is (was):
Windows/System directory /FXMEMMAP.VXD
great is that you can test it without restarts etc.. just replace it on the fly.. in my case, im now using older 3Dfx 1998/11 drivers.. but with FXMEMMAP.VXD from Iceman package and its working.

I dunno what this FXMEMMAP.VXD is doing, but maybe is problem that im using whole full 768 MB of RAM on my K6-II machine, bu if im not wrong except some fix for safe mode, up to 1 GB (1120 or something like that for more you new rLows magic), it should be safe.. And i also dunno how much bad thing is mix this file from different driver version.

GLQuake, Hexen 2 , Quake 2 demos are fine, only Quake 3 demo is not working, but i guess that is another problem..