VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hwh wrote on 2020-12-06, 09:12:

How would you record externally? Does this mean you have a separate computer with a capture card running which is there solely to record the output of the first computer?

Correct, modern computers have multiple cores and hardware that can accelerate the recording process. IMO, a separate capture system is the way to go for retro systems.

Reply 21 of 23, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SScorpio wrote on 2020-12-06, 14:42:
hwh wrote on 2020-12-06, 09:12:

How would you record externally? Does this mean you have a separate computer with a capture card running which is there solely to record the output of the first computer?

Correct, modern computers have multiple cores and hardware that can accelerate the recording process. IMO, a separate capture system is the way to go for retro systems.

I agree 100% about retro computer capture . I will add that, even on modern computers, if the objective is image quality analysis or comparison, lossless RGB capture using an external device may be preferable .

Reply 22 of 23, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Final check in.

Bandicam's last versions for Windows XP coincided with the implementation of Nvidia's NVENC system, which they didn't bother to implement in XP. (It would have required extra work on their part to replace DLL functions available by default in Windows 7 and newer.) That is my understanding. Anyway, their last versions do run on XP and do claim to offer NVENC, but the recording won't work of course. They just got messy in their transitional dumping XP phase.

I don't "need" XP to run anything I can think of (although I have noticed running things in Windows 7 various problems I just don't have in XP), I just hate most of the changes and tried as long as I could to avoid the newer OSes.

However, now that I bought this new card and went down this rabbit hole, I tried OBS (which also never ran on XP for reasons). It's, eh, workable, a little odd, OBS abandoned Windows 7 development years ago, so that more or less tells me what kind of people they are. They are not my people. But it's free, it works, and it implements NVENC, which I can affirm produces lossless recordings around 1/6th the size of what x264 made in XP of the same stuff. That is a massive incentive to record only in that environment. Now if only programs all worked correctly and Windows didn't make a mess of files...seriously, why not just let me turn off sorting in a window? Why does a file named "acorn" need to be 50 miles above the other file I want to see called "zebra?"

That said, I strongly value the backwards compatibility of the GeForce 750, whatever it's worth, it's an amazing card that does everything I need. Well aware new software would make my whole system slog, but I rarely get into that.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they were helpful.

Reply 23 of 23, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gots these great AMD fm2+ motherboards with amd A series cpus i have the option of up to 2gb shared memory for HDMI / VGA video.
The built in GPU of these cpu's has great potentual based on the R7 gpu.
One I use sometimes allows me to dual boot windows 11 and I chose server 2003 for native high capacity memory support.
Server 2003 is almost like xp in 32bit land but i need 32gb ram supports and something shipped with it is better than a tweak.
So now when the 'ol gpu is kaput I have built in gpu to fall back on and yeah I got full driver support.
I have run xp x64 and i386 practically the same as server 2003 in performance.
Was playing classic battlefield 2 and some others on server 2003 works nice. No bugs.
its a good thing xp era is TPM aware otherwise no dual boot with 11.
on xp era games I haven't actually found issues playing any game on the built in GPU of an AMD A10 or A8 but i use DDR3 1600 DIMMS anything lower is just slow.
supports both AMD and Intel memory profiles but AMD memory DIMMS aren't attractive for theft because they run slower on non AMD.
Virtualbox and VMware don't have very good HD audio support for this generation of AMD so I don't use hypervisors on it.
Direct x 9 on xp; up to directx 12 on 11 😁 where i don't have mobo with TPM support I still have windows 10 wheeeeee! 🤣