Won't display DVI at all.

And this is what I get in VGA.

Just purchased on ebay.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 12, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if you don't see any physical damage around the memory chips (but they're probably BGA?), damaged caps or the agp slot then i'd say yeah it's rather toasty.

clean the AGP connector, try another motherboard, thats about as much as you can do without trying to do any reballing/reflowing or the memory and/or nv chip, and even then the chances are slim.

Reply 2 of 12, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, as foil_fresh said, try the card on a few other platforms (although, by the looks of it, the card is definitely dead).
I would not bother with any reflow/reballing for now, I imagine you paid quite a bit of money for this card, so ask for a refund ASAP. If in the end you get to keep the card (and also get your money back), then you might try and fix it (although chances are probably slim, unless you are Louis Rossmann 😀 )

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 4 of 12, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the only AGP system I have. My 6800 GT works fine.

It's a shame. This is a really good looking card. It's got a purple pcb. Matches my mb.

I want to hit it with heat, but I'm waiting to hear back from the seller.

Reply 5 of 12, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-12-02, 07:00:

In my experience they die as hard as Radeon 9700s. I had a number of ebay ones that were DOA.

I bought a Ti 4200 because I'm drinking and it's purple. Do 4200s die at the same rate as 4600s?

Reply 6 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RedCharles wrote on 2020-12-02, 07:03:
kolderman wrote on 2020-12-02, 07:00:

In my experience they die as hard as Radeon 9700s. I had a number of ebay ones that were DOA.

I bought a Ti 4200 because I'm drinking and it's purple. Do 4200s die at the same rate as 4600s?

Not in my experience, no, nor Ti4400s. But one can always be unlucky.

Reply 7 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some of them have dodgily attached heatsinks that can come loose, and that will kill the GPU.
It's more likely to be a problem after the heatsink has previously been removed and the pegs aren't in perfect condition anymore.

Reply 9 of 12, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote on 2020-12-05, 04:43:

Some of them have dodgily attached heatsinks that can come loose, and that will kill the GPU.
It's more likely to be a problem after the heatsink has previously been removed and the pegs aren't in perfect condition anymore.

Ya, it's pretty dinky.

Reply 12 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Plaid probably means that the GPU is toast. Some failing BGA memory chip will corrupt image buy you will see at least something.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.