VOGONS

First post, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought an EVGA 750 Ti off ebay for use with my XP machine.
Didn't work. Artifacts.
I hit it with a heat gun. No change.
It's been sitting around for two months.
I decided to really sizzle it again. And this time I used my laser thermometer to make sure I cooked the whole board up to at least 300F.
And now, I'm only getting artifacts during the bios splash and the windows loading screen. Improvement!
Windows would see the card. It would correctly identify the card, but the Nvidia drivers won't take control of the card. Limited to 800x600. Machine said the refresh was 1hz. Felt more like 30 but what do I know? And I was testing this on a windows 10 machine.
I think I'm going to put it in the oven next. 400F?

Last edited by RedCharles on 2020-12-03, 06:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you use any no clean liquid flux when you heated it before? Squirt it in between the GPU and the board. You really need the flux to help clean the connections so they will rejoin properly.

Last time I stuck a card in the oven all the plastic bits melted.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 6, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-03, 06:36:

Did you use any no clean liquid flux when you heated it before? Squirt it in between the GPU and the board. You really need the flux to help clean the connections so they will rejoin properly.

are you talking about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YpTIXa6V4

Reply 4 of 6, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-12-03, 06:33:

Blast furnace.

Okay, inserting 750 Ti now. Should I rotate it until golden brown or wait for it to catch fire and blow it out?

Attachments

Reply 6 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RedCharles wrote on 2020-12-03, 06:42:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-03, 06:36:

are you talking about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YpTIXa6V4

Yeah, that works as well. The stuff I have is actually liquid at room temperature and is "no clean" flux that is clear. The stuff that person in the video was using is yellowish which I am guessing is not "no clean" flux.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK