VOGONS

First post, by resdog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found an IBM 2128-B1N monitor in good condition at a thrift store. It appears to be the 17 inch model with the Bose speakers on the side. It works fine. But I'm confused about some of the connections on the monitor. It appears to have a bundle of wires that include a VGA cable, usb port, male 3.5mm microphone cable and then some sort of proprietary speaker power cable.

I've tried searching and haven't been able to find any sort of online manual for this thing. I read on the internet that it may only work with the 2140/2142 IBM Aptiva computers, at least for the speakers because of that proprietary connector on the back. But does the proprietary connector only supply power? Or does it connect the actual sound from the computer as well?

Does anyone have any idea where I could acquire a manual for this thing?

Thanks

Here are some images I took:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ujubOiS

Reply 1 of 3, by resdog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never mind. I found the manual. And yes the attached speakers will only work if they're connected to a special IBM amplifier card that only works in the 2140 and 2142 computer systems. There's even a special BIOS setting for these amplifier cards. Oh well!