VOGONS

First post, by K_E_87th

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I was waiting for the rest of my parts to get here for a retro build, the very last of those being a DVI-to-HDMI adapter, since I've read that DVI and HDMI are passively compatible with one another. On the day prior to receiving the adapter, I stumbled upon this thread, which describes issues with EDID and Windows 9x.

Got my build altogether, installed Win98SE, installed all drivers on my primary desk monitor over VGA, and I get a picture, as expected. However, my desk space is very limited so I wanted to use my wall-mounted HDTV (which only has HDMI, no VGA) and move the computer over to that display. Connected it to the HDTV with the adapter, booted into Safe Mode (still has a picture) to uninstall the drivers, rebooted and installed drivers (still has a picture), and rebooted for the final time (no picture); the operating system has started but I get no picture.

Would this happen to be related to potential EDID issues as described in the aforementioned linked thread? It just so happens to be that this build I put together uses an ATi Radeon 9600, so can replacing the video card solve the issue? I'd like to use this HDTV with this computer as I can also record it off-camera with the amount of space I have available to use.

Appreciate any suggestions. I'd like to avoid having to purchase an EDID emulator if I can help it; I've heard of KVM switches being used as cost-effective solutions to this. There's not that much information about this online elsewhere.

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would connect the machine to both monitors at the same time with vga being the primary and then troubleshoot from there.
What is the native resolution and refresh rate of the TV?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by K_E_87th

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2021-01-21, 23:21:

What is the native resolution and refresh rate of the TV?

It's a 32" 60Hz HDTV whose "native" resolution is 1080p, though most of the time when I connect any modern computers to it, they default to 1366x768, so perhaps the Radeon is trying to output at this resolution but can't?

EDIT: I just simultaneously connected both the VGA and DVI ports of the video card and I get a picture on both, but only if the DVI is set as the secondary monitor. I guess the question now is how to try and get Windows 98 to use the DVI port as the primary monitor, since for some reason the option is disabled/greyed out in the Display Settings. Doesn't appear to be an EDID issue, since my TV's full name shows up on the Displays menu. I wonder if this has to do with either the drivers or the video card, or maybe both.