VOGONS

First post, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My set up has three systems, 98, XP and Win 10, that are all hooked up to one monitor.

I recently upgraded my main monitor. Previous monitor had two HDMI and one display port. New monitor has one HDMI and two display port.

No problem. I just got a DVI to DP adapter cable, but it doesn't work. Monitor does not see it.

The monitor sees the win 98 system through hdmi. When I swap the DVI/HDMI cable over to the XP machine, it works.

Is it just a bad cable, or is DVI/DP cable not a workable option?

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RedCharles wrote on 2021-01-26, 00:06:
My set up has three systems, 98, XP and Win 10, that are all hooked up to one monitor. I recently upgraded my main monitor. P […]
Show full quote

My set up has three systems, 98, XP and Win 10, that are all hooked up to one monitor.

I recently upgraded my main monitor. Previous monitor had two HDMI and one display port. New monitor has one HDMI and two display port.

No problem. I just got a DVI to DP adapter cable, but it doesn't work. Monitor does not see it.

The monitor sees the win 98 system through hdmi. When I swap the DVI/HDMI cable over to the XP machine, it works.

Is it just a bad cable, or is DVI/DP cable not a workable option?

I have seen HDMI to DP adapters (active by necessity ) and DP to HDMI adapters (both active and passive ones) . I have also seen DP to DVI adapters (both active and passive), but I have never seen a DVI to DP cable (not that one could not be made, just that I have not seen one, it would have to active by necessity). EDIT : I have now, see below .

These adapter cables are typically not bi-directional, AFAIK . So an adapter meant to connect a DP video card to a DVI monitor would not work to connect a DVI video card to a DP monitor .

Are you sure you have the right type of cable ?

EDIT: you would need something like this https://www.startech.com/en-ca/audio-video-products/dvi2dp2 or maybe something like this https://www.cablematters.com/pc-825-139-gold- … z-in-black.aspx along with a passive DVI to HDMI adapter . I own the second of the 2 (cheaper), but do not currently own a DP monitor, so I could not test it for you with a DVI video card .

Reply 2 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is a DP to DVI cable.
DVI doesn't know anything about DP so you'll need an active adapter like this one:
https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio-video-products/dvi2dp2
Be aware of if you need single or dual-link.

A HDMI switch may be better since there would be less BS to troubleshoot and you could connect more systems if needed and possibly cheaper.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide- … ut=DP&input=DVI

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I decided to swap over to a 5770 I have laying around. But it won't go. I took it upstairs to my wife's computer which is still running another old 5770. And it worked in that computer. So I left the new to me 5770 upstairs and took the known 5770 downstairs. It won't go. It won't even show me the bios and the CD drive makes this annoying sound over and over. I tried all the connections and swapped to another monitor I have laying around, but still no luck.

So I swapped over to an X800 I have laying around, and that works. Tried installing some 2014 drivers for the 5770. Shutdown. Swap. Reboot. 5770 still no work. What's up with this? What am I missing here? 5770 should work with XP.

Reply 4 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RedCharles wrote on 2021-01-26, 02:16:

So I decided to swap over to a 5770 I have laying around. But it won't go. I took it upstairs to my wife's computer which is still running another old 5770. And it worked in that computer. So I left the new to me 5770 upstairs and took the known 5770 downstairs. It won't go. It won't even show me the bios and the CD drive makes this annoying sound over and over. I tried all the connections and swapped to another monitor I have laying around, but still no luck.

So I swapped over to an X800 I have laying around, and that works. Tried installing some 2014 drivers for the 5770. Shutdown. Swap. Reboot. 5770 still no work. What's up with this? What am I missing here? 5770 should work with XP.

I am a bit confused. Are you still talking about DVI to Displayport ?

What motherboard and what power supply are you using ? The Radeon 5770 draws at least twice the power of an X800 .

If you are not getting a picture even during POST/BIOS boot screen, it is not a driver or operating system issue .

Reply 5 of 10, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-01-26, 03:40:

If you are not getting a picture even during POST/BIOS boot screen, it is not a driver or operating system issue .

Right. So what's up. What's wrong? I've tried two different 5770's. Both work in another windows 10 machine. Both don't work in this windows xp pc.

Reply 6 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RedCharles wrote on 2021-01-27, 01:31:
darry wrote on 2021-01-26, 03:40:

Right. So what's up. What's wrong? I've tried two different 5770's. Both work in another windows 10 machine. Both don't work in this windows xp pc.

As mentioned previously, it could be a power supply issue (what power supply is installed in that XP machine?) as the 5770 draws more power than the x800 .

A motherboard BIOS incompatibility/bug might be the cause . What motherboard is it and do you have the latest BIOS for it ?

Reply 7 of 10, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MB is an MSI RS480 M2-IL. It's a little M-ATX motherboard. And I have not updated the BIOS.

Power supply is Silverstone 520W from 2005. According to what I've read these are good power supplies.

I ran a 270X with it last night, but it was a slideshow. Didn't run right in windows. Too big for the case anyway.

I was running a 8800 GT earlier today, but I switched over to a 750 Ti I have laying around (2 DVI, one mini HDMI). 750Ti is weird. It has frame drops sometimes that the 8800 GT doesn't have in R6 Raven Shield. I'm using the 340.52 driver.

I have no idea why the 5770's won't work.

I ended up ordering a mislabeled Zotac 750 Zone off ebay. Ad said it was a 560 Ti. It's a passively cooled card and it should fit well in the case and be powerful enough to run old games. And most importantly it has DP.

Reply 8 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RedCharles wrote on 2021-01-27, 06:34:
MB is an MSI RS480 M2-IL. It's a little M-ATX motherboard. And I have not updated the BIOS. […]
Show full quote

MB is an MSI RS480 M2-IL. It's a little M-ATX motherboard. And I have not updated the BIOS.

Power supply is Silverstone 520W from 2005. According to what I've read these are good power supplies.

I ran a 270X with it last night, but it was a slideshow. Didn't run right in windows. Too big for the case anyway.

I was running a 8800 GT earlier today, but I switched over to a 750 Ti I have laying around (2 DVI, one mini HDMI). 750Ti is weird. It has frame drops sometimes that the 8800 GT doesn't have in R6 Raven Shield. I'm using the 340.52 driver.

I have no idea why the 5770's won't work.

I ended up ordering a mislabeled Zotac 750 Zone off ebay. Ad said it was a 560 Ti. It's a passively cooled card and it should fit well in the case and be powerful enough to run old games. And most importantly it has DP.

Assuming the RS480 M2-IL and RS480 M2 share the same BIOS, it is worth nothing that BIOS version 3.9 fixes an issue with the RX1300 Pro . So the latest BIOS has some video card compatibility fixes . Whether it would help with the 5770 is another question.
See
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/rs480m2

If the R9 270x works, I would guess the PSU is fine .

Reply 9 of 10, by RedCharles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ya, I see what you're talking about in the notes. I don't have to do the bios updates in order right? I can just do the last one right?

Honestly, I'm a little scared to update the bios; I've never done it. I'm worried that I will brick it.

Reply 10 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RedCharles wrote on 2021-01-28, 01:53:

Ya, I see what you're talking about in the notes. I don't have to do the bios updates in order right? I can just do the last one right?

Honestly, I'm a little scared to update the bios; I've never done it. I'm worried that I will brick it.

You can go straight to the latest one .

If you follow the provided instructions, you should be fine .
In the very unlikely event that something does go wrong, since the BIOS chip looks socketed (on the pictures that I have seen), you have a relatively easy recovery path (either buy an EEPROM programmer or ask someone who has one to flash the chip for you externally and send it back to you).