VOGONS

First post, by EDO-D-O

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been looking for a PCI card with DVI to run some older windows games. The FX5200 128-bit is something I can find for reasonably cheap on ebay, but 128-bit, PCI and DVI together has proven a hard find. The ones from China that Philscomputerlab reviewed seemingly don't really have DVI ports, only DVI-A actually works through them based on youtube comments. I need PCI because I don't have AGP these days and I want to run it as a passed through device to a VM on my main PC.

So I'm looking at other options. I noticed the Quadrio NVS 280 uses the NV34GL chipset and actually is supported by some older drivers.

I guess the question is: How close to a FX5200 128-bit is this? It seems like the clock speeds are a bit different. I can find DVI+FX5200+64bit easy enough but the NVS 280 is about the same price. I already own a DMS-59 to dual DVI adapter.

Reply 1 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quadro NVS 280

Essentially that's GeForce FX5200 64-bit. Performance should be below normal GeForce 4 MX, which is hard to call satisfactory for DX7 games, but should do the job, if you're not picky.

3dm-marks-5200-64.png
Filename
3dm-marks-5200-64.png
File size
16.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 11, by EDO-D-O

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-26, 17:07:

Quadro NVS 280

Essentially that's GeForce FX5200 64-bit. Performance should be below normal GeForce 4 MX, which is hard to call satisfactory for DX7 games, but should do the job, if you're not picky.

3dm-marks-5200-64.png

Everything I've seen says it only comes in a 128-bit variant. Is this incorrect?
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/quadro- … s-280-pci.c1455

But I can't find much out there on these oddballs.

Edit:
Ah...I see there is a AGP version at least with 64-bit, has a mx4000 chip under the heatsink. But its a NVS 280 "SD"

Last edited by EDO-D-O on 2021-01-26, 17:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This chart also says they both have 128 bit memory bus.
https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid … geforce-fx-5200

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Everything I've seen says it only comes in a 128-bit variant.

This card has two memory chips in TSOP package on each side, which are tied to one 32-bit wide memory channel. Wider bus would require more complex PCB.

This chart

Game-debate charts can't be considered as serious proof.

Reply 5 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Serpent Rider is correct. From the one I have:

Attachments

Reply 6 of 11, by EDO-D-O

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I think you're right. The PCB looks quite similar to the FX5200 64-bits which are low profile as well.

This makes it a bit inferior to those fx5200 cards as it actually has less vram.

Thanks guys, I've learned to not really trust the nvidia gpu wiki for obscure cards.

Reply 8 of 11, by EDO-D-O

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-01-26, 19:19:

What motherboard are you planning to use it with?

Well...probably my x470 gaming plus max. Which will involve a pci-e to pci converter, I have a few of those and at least one of them works with my mx4000 pci. I have a z77 Intel platform I can try as well.

Reply 9 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can just buy GeForce PCX 5300/5700/5900 cards, which are GeForce FX cards with AGP-PCIe bridge.

Reply 10 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EDO-D-O wrote on 2021-01-26, 19:52:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-01-26, 19:19:

What motherboard are you planning to use it with?

Well...probably my x470 gaming plus max. Which will involve a pci-e to pci converter, I have a few of those and at least one of them works with my mx4000 pci. I have a z77 Intel platform I can try as well.

The main reason I have one is that the TXP4 Socket 7 motherboard I'm using it with seems to have a limit of 64 megabytes of memory for the video card which really limits the choices. Not a limitation you'll be facing.

Reply 11 of 11, by EDO-D-O

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-26, 19:58:

You can just buy GeForce PCX 5300/5700/5900 cards, which are GeForce FX cards with AGP-PCIe bridge.

I actually have 3 PCX 5750 cards. One was dead on arrival, one worked marginally in PCI passthrough and then died and won't detect at all anymore and the third works but not in PCI passthrough once the drivers are loaded. I recently gave a FX 1300 a shot but its the same as my only working 5750. At that point I thought maybe I might want to see what I could do with regular old PCI instead. But it is really annoying I had one of them working, maybe the bios version has something to do with it.