l33t++

Anyone actually ever get this working?
So far I've tried from AMD's official site
13.12 WHQL
13.9 WHQL

and
12-2_xp32_dd_ccc
icafe-winxp-9.00.300.3010-beta1

Noting installs if you simply run setup but I can install catalyst control center manually from the CCC folder
Trying to install the drivers via device manager just tells me there are no drivers for my hardware in any of the folders.

installs fine in Win7 so know hardware side of things are cool.

Reply 2 of 14, by Solplay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The PCI ID for the Radeon HD 7990 isn't there, which explains why it doesn't install the display driver.

Try reinstalling it with a .INF modded Catalyst 14.4: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id … MRUKXg2mgNZ2exR Don't forget to run rootsupd.exe (included in the .7z file) if your root certificates are outdated.

Reply 3 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WTF? how can AMD release drivers they say support a card and then forget to put the PCI ID in!

I ran setup (which still doesn't work) then installed drivers, ccc manually
the drivers now install but get "This device cannot start code 10"
I noticed even viewer was comapling about Visual C++ not been installed so installed 2010 that's included in the modded package above.
.Net 2.0 is also installed (about the only thing that setup does install)

Apart from that its a clean install XP SP3install with the final DX9 also installed.

Reply 4 of 14, by Solplay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I suppose it is typical for AMD to pull that off.
Evidence: I have a Radeon HD 8650G that has no 3D or 2D acceleration under XP SP2 x64, with Catalyst 14.4 installed.

You might have the same issue as I do, albeit in a different form. It might be worth a try to ask somebody here with a Radeon HD 7970 or a Radeon HD 8970 to install Catalyst 14.4 under XP. I don't know for sure if it's due to broken drivers. On my Radeon HD 8650G, it is completely broken. It installs fine without any errors, but it provides no acceleration at all.

Reply 5 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Solplay wrote on 2021-02-16, 19:36:

I It might be worth a try to ask somebody here with a Radeon HD 7970 or a Radeon HD 8970 to install Catalyst 14.4 under XP.

That's what I'm doing with this post, seems no one else want to play with me 🙁

Tried fully updating XP with the WSUS Offline installer on the off chance I was missing some dependency. Still no change.
Seems like AMD were talking BS when they said it supported XP

Reply 6 of 14, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Chinny 22, WHQL drivers 13.4 looked promising but all links for it are "dead ends". Maybe with a more thorough search
you might have better luck than me.

Cool looking card 6GB and all, what size ps you got feeding it?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 7 of 14, by Solplay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-02-17, 12:09:

Seems like AMD were talking BS when they said it supported XP

Well, you're not the only one who was fooled. I thought my Radeon HD 8650G had XP support too.

As a last resort, install Catalyst 13.4 or 13.1 with their respective INF mods applied, see how it goes.
CX154613.inf = Catalyst 13.1 - https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id … Ppkm50G39-QhtDE
CX160982.inf = Catalyst 13.4 - https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id … ePQwMqKvWdSAyCx
Run the installer and wait for it to extract the files, then drag the matching .INF into Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF.

The Catalyst drivers can be found here:
Catalyst 13.1 - https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … dd_ccc_whql.exe
Catalyst 13.4 - https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … dd_ccc_whql.exe

By the way, the Radeon HD 7990 and the Radeon HD 8990's PCI ID are not listed in the .INF files. That's why I had to modify them again...

Reply 8 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No change I'm afraid, tried both with clean install of windows but still get "This device cannot start code 10"
Thanks for your help Solplay but I'm giving up for now and keep it just as a Win7 box.
If anyone ever does successfully get it working then please do tell me how though!

This is the PC in question, Its a ridiculous build and XP would have made it even more so!
My Win7/XP build with 2 CPU 16 thread's, 4 GPU crossfire, 2 PSU build

Reply 10 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It doesn't. That's two cards with 3 Gb VRAM each. Also GeForce GTX Titan works just fine.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 14, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Phil did a vid with a 7770 ( I think it was). He got the CCC installed then used the "snappy drivers" thing, to get the driver part installed.

Edit : Found the vid, not the same card but the same problem with the drivers.

https://youtu.be/yTFv4x8srL0

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 12 of 14, by identiti_crisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I registered just to share that I got my 7990 working largely because of this thread! Albeit without Crossfire support.

The AMD website suggests Catalyst 13.9 or 13.12 for the 7990 in XP, however either package would only install the install manager and was pretty useless.

I was able to manually install CCC by running every executable under packages\CCC in each subfolder. This felt very odd!

The snappy driver method worked great with an HD4870 (as a sanity check), for which AMD offers Catalyst 13.4 Beta under XP on its website. It's not in the .infs for 13.9 or 13.12 but it worked under CCC 13.12 with the snappy driver just fine.

Snappy driver wouldn't recognise the 7990, so I needed the driver .inf file modding to get it to work. I used 13.12 as that's where I installed the CCC from. The drivers are under packages\driver\display etc. and I just used notepad to edit the .inf after making a backup copy of it

Compared to another later ATI .inf I saw, this one was very straightforward. We're also helped by the 7990 being effectively two 7970s.

I simply Ctrl-F to find "6798" (which is the PCI ID for a 7970, 0x6798) and copied the entire first entry of those i.e. "6798.1" to a new line.
I then changed each instance of 6798 to 679B so as to denote the 7990 instead.
The vendor stays the same at (0x)1002 and, unless you know the subsystem ID in order to change it, it's perfectly fine to delete the part starting "&SUBSYS_".

I did put this in alphanumerical order, so the new line went in after the last 679A entry (which also doesn't have a subsystem ID declared in this version). I don't know if it being alphanumerical is important! You'll note that there are very few differences between many of the cards in this area, mostly being configured as "R575" later in the .inf.

Near the bottom (use the search again) are the "strings" to give the card a name under Windows. Again just copy the 6798.1 line and change to 679B.1 to match the entry you made above. I changed the text string to HD 7990 instead of HD 7900 Series for clarity.

For either 13.9 or 13.12, the first part looked like this:

"%AMD679B.1%" = ati2mtag_R575, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_679B

And the bottom part looked like this:

AMD679B.1 = "AMD Radeon HD 7990"

Next is to explore older drivers to see if crossfire will work.
Thanks!!

Reply 13 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congratulations, I'd given up before the snappydriver was mentioned and have since sold the cards and made a tidy profit (well if I didn't spend the money on other hardware)
REALLY hope you do get crossfile working

Reply 14 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking around, it looks like people have been trying to get HD79xx CFX working in XP for years.

I don't think it is going to ever work in XP which actually messes with a build I was planning on doing.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK