VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi!

I've been messing around with various versions of Univbe on my socket 7 DOS machine, which is currently sporting an ARK2000MT based PCI card. I've found that the different versions behave differently but version 6.5 of SDD is the most useful, because it both configures my LFB and provides VESA3 support. Version 5.3 of Univbe does the LFB but not VESA3. Version 6.7 does VESA3 but not the LFB.

So I'd like to use SDD v6.5 but what I've noticed with SDD is that it makes some of my VESA resolutions a lot brighter than they are without SDD loaded. Duke3D in 640x480 for example is bright, as is Blood. I can just turn down the brightness in those games and they look OK again but not all games have that option, so I'd prefer if SDD didn't do that.

Does anyone know why that happens? I've noticed it with a Matrox Millennium and that version of Univbe too, so it's not just the ARK.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 1, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never mind I think I was unfairly blaming SDD when actually it's the refresh rate that was causing this - I'm also trying out unirefresh and setting it to 85hz caused the brightness, but only for 640x480 for some reason. I've dropped it down to 75hz an all's well - still a nice improvement over the default 60Hz and brightness is fine.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.