VOGONS

First post, by criz_me

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

First of all: Happy Easter 😀

This may be frowned upon, and most likely for good reason - however: I recently rebuilt my Highscreen Pentium 90 that I owned back in 1994. I had this crazy idea to add in a more 'modern' GPU, so I bought a used Zotac GT610 PCI (not PCI-E), which is supposed to be in working condition.

The issue now is, that I am not getting any signal on the HDMI or VGA output. I have tried two displays. The keyboard LEDs quicky light up on boot, but not a lot more is happening.

There may be very good reasons why this setup never is supposed to work, but still I wonder why.

Zotac GT610 PCI 512 MB, Pentium 90 setup which is working OK with a Trident TGUI9440 that came with it.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers
Christian

s-l1600.jpg

Reply 1 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Old motherboards don't work well with late generation PCI cards. I think these cards pull too much power or something. I also encountered problems putting a 8000-series GeForce PCI card in an old system.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 6, by criz_me

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Errius, that may well be the reason. The Zotac manual states 29W of power draw. After some research I found out it is an Intel "Endeavor" board, Intel Advanced/EV https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Intel_Ad … nced%E2%88%95EV

If so, I wonder if there is a way to add power to the GPU, via riser card or such.

Reply 4 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In 2001 a friend of a friend donated a barebones Socket 7 (Biostar VX chipset motherboard) AT system to me, which was a major upgrade from the 66 MHz 486 that I had. It had a Cyrix CPU, and no video card. I bought a PCI video card from a local retailer. I think it was a Jaton, I cannot recall what GPU but I think it was an Nvidia. It would boot up, but when I went to install the drivers in Windows 98, it refused to work properly. A friend tried it in his P1 system, and he had the same result. These CPUs were too old to work properly with this video card. I returned it, and they sold me a used one megabyte Trident video card which worked perfectly. Chances are there's nothing you can do to get that card to work properly in that system.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 6, by criz_me

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Errius There is a 2 pin header on the board. I cannot find a proper manual that would explain what these do. I will keep digging though.

@Repo Yeah, I knew I was talking chances, but had to try it anyway 😉 Still I wonder what the rechnical reasons are behind the issue. Power is definitely one.

I also have a TNT2 PCI with 16MB on the way to me, we will see.

Thanks.

Reply 6 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That 2-pin header is for a fan.

These passive cards run very hot. If this bothers you, you can get a cheap PCIe Zotac card on eBay and swap the HS/HSFs around, connecting the fan to that header.

Is this too much voodoo?