VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,
I'd like to ask if there are or there was a "modern" PCI (old bus) video card to be installed without needing a bracket and ver very low profile for mini-itx cases that doesn't have that option? Most low profile cards still need a big case anyway and I've built one with PicoPSU that doesn't have that. Also has the mini-pciex removed by factory.
Having a bridged PCI slot, can I install something to use some opengl/video accelerator? Even like a "Voodoo" add-on only card way? I understand this is a very specific and probably impossible solution.
Thanks.

Reply 1 of 9, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if there are any "less than" low profile cards out there, if the case is at least 2u high a low profile card usually fits, another option would be a pci riser that goes over the motherboard

Reply 2 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. It's a very cheap mini-itx picopsu oriented case. I was thinking too at a PCI riser card but I'd still have the problem of the video output. It'd not be bad to imagine something like those old Broadcom mini-PCIex solutions for hardware video decoding that didn't need anything but the drivers like somehow the Matrox m3D did for the few 3D games that ran on it.
Unfortunately the onboard gpu is far from supported well on both linux and win and I should install third party drivers for an old 3.x kernel or Win7/8 and soon the newer kernel will abandon the 2D working module too.
To put such mini-itx board into a micro-atx case would be pointless cause I'd use any other mainboard even a Pentium D would run better than this.

Reply 4 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2021-04-16, 14:06:

there are mini-pcie video cards out there as well

Do they support D3D/Opengl/video acceleration too? In that case I might consider using some PCI to mini-PCIex adapters I think they exists.

Reply 6 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I imagined that. This config is probably the most complicated to use.. on linux you get x64 cpu usage, 4GB addressing, still supported but low basic gpu support just a "accelerated" DRM and 2D resolutions GUI and obviously software renderer for opengl. In Win 7/8 you get 32bit only support, 3GB addressing, a never well understood driver for 32bit only o.s., the strangest 3D performances and compatibility but a very good DXVA FullHD decoding. Using an old Pentium4 on 775 of a decade before is easier on both x64 o.s.
I should consider to find a mini-itx case that has ONLY the PCI low profile height and not PSU but they are not that easy to find.. most seems like micro-atx as well.

Reply 8 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2021-04-16, 14:27:

plenty of ITX cases are tall enough to fit a riser though, or does your board not have a native PCI slot if I understood that correctly? what board is it?

It's a standard Intel D2500HN compatible layout industrial board but has the mini-pciex removed and I doubt how could I connect the thick video output cable (DVI, or VGA, with the Geforce 210 PCI for example there's what seems to be a proprietary dual DVI one with a big connector and a large strong dual cable) .

Reply 9 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The dual dvi should be dms59

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1