VOGONS

First post, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I've received some new video cards recently and was going on testing them one by one. And was testing this card... In the back it says Kyro II 4500, but Everest detects it as Kyro II 4800. I almost sh*t my pants! 😜
Is this just a mistake from the Driver? I also checked a few websites, there is a Russian one that says the 4800 has Hynix Ram chips, which mine has.
(Here is the link: https://www.ixbt.com/video2/kyro2se.shtml)

Here are some photos of my card:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s1_q5 … 5NX?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance 😀

Reply 3 of 11, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
havli wrote on 2021-04-28, 18:46:

The PCB is different than regular 4500... so yes, it could be 4800. Congrats. 😁
How does it perform?

I made a run with 3Dmark 2000. It is my usual PC for testing, Tyan Socket 462/ Via Chipset Mobo, Duron 800 and 256Mb of SDRam.
I have another Kyro II 4500, the regular one, but it came without the Cooler, so for the moment I cannot test it. I'm working on finding a cooler to see if there are any differences in benchmarks...

Reply 5 of 11, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice find @aaronkatrini.

There were few PCB versions. Yours looks to be the latest, and with latest chip. Great thing about it is there are no classic capacitors to go bad 😉.
I got this version:
http://old.vgamuseum.info/images/stories/zaat … kyroII_fwhq.jpg

Caps look good on my.
Original cooler fan is very rattly. Please post if you find something better.
Also, please compare image quality between the two.

Reply 6 of 11, by BigDaddyM

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Congrats!

How yours pants now? 😀

Can You dump BIOS please? I own vanilla Hercules card and I am curious about "preferica PCI", its 104A/0010. I am using aida64 4.00 and it's giving me more informations in this parameter, its 104A-0010 / 1681-C060 (Rev 0F) . I noticed yours 3Dmark is a bit low, what CPU did you used? Kyro 2 is very sensitive to AGP configuration

Reply 7 of 11, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great find! That's a 4800 imho also considering the SE on the video chip and the FOCUS chip for the video out is well remembered as a great TV high quality solution in the few reviews back then. I wish I had one. I don't know why there's a 4500 sticker behind it. Maybe these were the last cards built renamed as 4500? Is it sure it's running @ 175Mhz? That might have sense if sold as 4500.

Last edited by 386SX on 2021-04-29, 14:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 11, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@stef80
I don't have a good CRT monitor at hand, so will do when i find one.

@BigDaddyM

Mt pants are fine 😜

I'll do this weekend when I have more time...
What program do you use for BIOS Dumping?

@386SX

Thanks, I also think is the 4800, since it has the newer ship. Everest says 175Mhz, I presume it's correct.
My theory is they already had the chips ready but the cards weren't ready for introducing the newer product,
so they just underclocked them and labeled as 4500 and they sold them. Probably mine isn't the only one out there,
maybe there are other cards like this sold in Italy... who knows... the hunt begins now! 😜

@dionb

Thanks 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aaronkatrini wrote on 2021-04-29, 15:37:
@stef80 I don't have a good CRT monitor at hand, so will do when i find one. […]
Show full quote

@stef80
I don't have a good CRT monitor at hand, so will do when i find one.

@BigDaddyM

Mt pants are fine 😜

I'll do this weekend when I have more time...
What program do you use for BIOS Dumping?

@386SX

Thanks, I also think is the 4800, since it has the newer ship. Everest says 175Mhz, I presume it's correct.
My theory is they already had the chips ready but the cards weren't ready for introducing the newer product,
so they just underclocked them and labeled as 4500 and they sold them. Probably mine isn't the only one out there,
maybe there are other cards like this sold in Italy... who knows... the hunt begins now! 😜

@dionb

Thanks 😀

The model number 4500 might have been a problem for the owners that might have not known they had a quite rare model. But it's interesting indeed that they built those. I read 2002 early PCB build.