VOGONS

First post, by Melonking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This situation started a few months ago and is a mystery to me.

The monitor was working fine, then one day the power LED turned off and the screen would not wake up. The monitor was replugged and came on as normal, however after about 10 minutes it would go black like it was off. The power indicator would stay on, however, it wouldn't wake up and pressing the monitors power button did nothing. It remained consistently like this.

The monitor is connected to a PowerMac G5, via an ADC to DVI brick. Replugging the brick from the wall fixes the issue, and replugging the monitor from the brick but leaving the brick powered on also fixes the issue. This suggests to me that the issue is in the monitor not the brick.

With that in mind and following some online suggestions, I replaced the LCD control board in the monitor with another (likely second hand) one. Now the situation is exactly the same as before except the screen will stay on for about an hour before going black; an improvement for sure but not good enough..

So the question is! Could it actually be the brick at fault? The power inverter in the monitor? Or did I replace one faulty control board board with another faulty one?

Id love to hear any suggestions, because at this point, I'm not sure there is much more I can do the save this lovely monitor!

Reply 1 of 1, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rebuild the power supply first with new caps and if this monitor have linear regulators somewhere, monitor them with voltmeter as monitor warms up or heat them to show up the fault.

Yes the power supply needed replugging from wall shows you have issues with power supply. Rebuild it if you can open it.

I had a apple LCD with thick case needed a regulator on the motherboard, not power supply, replaced to get it working again, has internal PSU in it when I was working at tv & monitor (consumer stuff) repair shop long ago. This is one with one piece aluminum where you have to peel white side panels to get to the screws.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SElBPRE8e0w

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.