VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this normal for a Hercules Prophet Kyro 2 board? Is it maybe something wonky with this card and my OSSC together? Or perhaps a driver setting? I don’t see the same issue in Windows, just in-game.

https://youtu.be/Yx3osusPHKg

YouTube obscures the issue a bit, it looks like noise to me and maybe it is, just odd it would only appear in-game.

Reply 1 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chadti99 wrote on 2021-06-23, 03:58:

Is this normal for a Hercules Prophet Kyro 2 board? Is it maybe something wonky with this card and my OSSC together? Or perhaps a driver setting? I don’t see the same issue in Windows, just in-game.

https://youtu.be/Yx3osusPHKg

YouTube obscures the issue a bit, it looks like noise to me and maybe it is, just odd it would only appear in-game.

That looks like it needs a phase adjustment on the OSSC, at least AFAICT from the video .

Reply 2 of 11, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried changing your vga cable?

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 3 of 11, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All of my Kyros are pretty clean and sharp image wise, certainly nothing like your video shows.

That's across an AGP Kyro, PCI Kyro and AGP Kyro II (all Hercules).

Reply 4 of 11, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ve tried a different cable and I’ve tried changing the phase settings on the OSSC. It really looks more like film grain.

Here’s another example:

https://youtu.be/1jUDqYtlfgo

YouTube does a great job of smoothing it over 🤣.

Reply 5 of 11, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks like a memory issue, some sort of texture not being properly rendered / not displaying correctly....

Can you check the AGP Mode you're using? Switch to 2X and 4X and see if it makes a difference (if your motherboard supports it). Also try the card in another system possibly.

Reply 6 of 11, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also try another agp card in your system to rule out the rest of the pc and or monitor.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 7 of 11, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ll try in another system and using an actual CRT, hopefully tomorrow. I’ve tested several other AGP cards in this system without issue.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I’ll report back!

Reply 8 of 11, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a colored rendered snow, like you see on a out of channel or disconnected analog TV.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 9 of 11, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-06-24, 00:59:

Looks like a colored rendered snow, like you see on a out of channel or disconnected analog TV.

Cheers,

Yah it almost looks intentional, was thinking maybe it was some wacky anti-aliasing or dithering algorithm that might be driver based. First Kyro card for me.

Reply 10 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw a thing on the Apocalypse 3Dx back in the day that might be related, some games it would be like the tiles didn't quite meet at the edges leaving single pixel "chinks" here and there.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.