VOGONS

First post, by Vintasaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running an experiment with VIA MVP3 boards and I have yet to get an MVP3 board to run at AGP 2x with any Matrox card. Let me preface this by letting you know , I don't need to know what cards will work or that early VIA chipsets have problems with AGP, or that there is very little real world performance difference between 1x 2x and 4x. The experiment is to get one running at AGP 2x. Sisoft Sandra shows that before I install the driver, the board and the card are running at AGP 2x. But as soon as I install ANY version of PowerDesk drivers it drops to 1x. It's not a chipset issue since it shows 2x before driver install (I have tried 8 different versions of VIA 4 in 1's just to check) I have 5 different MVP3 boards. I have tried G200, 400, 450, 550 Milleniums and Marvels... same result. Recognizes 2x before driver install and drops to 1x after! Google searches don't show anybody mentioning this problem and yes, the cards operate fine at 1x but are all 2x or 4x capable. Also I have tried powerstrip but it only lets you lower AGP speeds. All higher speeds are greyed out once the driver is installed. I was wondering if anybody else has got a Matrox card to run at 2x on an MVP3 board?

Vintasaurus
Newbie to Vogons but not to PC building
100+ PC builds
35+ Win98 builds 18 still active

Reply 2 of 4, by Vintasaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Paradigital, I have not tried a DFI Mobo. So far I have tried two different Tyan's, Two different Epox, and two different FIC boards. You will need something that tells you the AGP transfer speed. I use SiSoft Sandra 2001 edition. So far all of them show AGP 2x speed until I install the drivers.

Vintasaurus
100+ PC builds

Reply 3 of 4, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was actually a pretty common thing during the SS7 era. Once video card manufacturers realized that VIA and Ali chipsets have major AGP issues (particularly @ AGP 2x), they added driver functionality that permanently locks the AGP speed at 1x on these chipsets. I'm guessing that they received a lot of phone calls from unhappy customers that were blaming the video cards instead of the platform itself. 😁
I actually consider this a feature, not a bug! 😀 There were multiple instances (with older nVIDIA drivers) where I had to dig an old VIA driver like v4.17 in order to get a fixed AGP 1x speed 😀
Anyway, I did many tests on SS7, and unless you are trying to beat any records (i.e. you want any extra frame that you can get), AGP 1x is virtually identical to AGP 2x performance. On the other hand, AGP 1x is usually very stable, while AGP 2x is a pain. My advice: don't bother! 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 4 of 4, by Vintasaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info Bloodem. I was aware of the problems with VIA's early chipsets and AGP but I wasn't aware that some manufacturers had actually locked 1x into the drivers but that would certainly explain my issue. And for all the talk about the problems, I have been able to get all my systems running stable with AGP. I haven't had that many problems. I have found that the boards can be a little card finicky and driver picky but once I find the right combo they work fine with AGP.
I build era specific, meaning I don't try to put a 2005 graphics card in a 1998 system and I also have a very specific load/set up procedure and I usually don't have any problems. Everyone seems to have their favorite drivers and for me I use the VIA 4 in 1 4.38 chipset drivers. Most folks seem to recommend the 4.35 version but I remember reading somewhere that the 4 in 1 4.38 was the last version written specifically for Win98, the versions after that up to 4.43 were written for WinME , then when they changed the name from 4 in 1 to Hyperion, Hyperion drivers were written for WinXP and the more advanced chipsets like Apollo Pro, KT133 and KT266. They were supposed to be backwards compatible but they were not written specifically for the old chipsets and could be problematic.
Ooops, forgot to say all my test systems are running Win98SE and the CPU's are K62-500's and I have been able to get other brands of cards to run AGP 2x without problems. You're probably thinking "why don't I just use one of those other cards?" Because my absolute favorite retro gaming rig is a Matrox G400 + Dual Voodoo2's !

Vintasaurus
100+ PC builds