VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am planning on running a mixed Voodoo 2 12MB SLI setup. One card is from Creative Labs and the other from STB. It will used on a Pentium II overdrive running Windows 98 SE. My question is the FastVoodoo driver v4.6 the best one to use or is an earlier version recommended?

Reply 1 of 5, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It depends if you permanently want to overclock your voodoo cards, since that is one of the things this driver does. It caused some instability issues at my pc.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 2 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't FastVoodoo v4.6 allow you to set the clock speed?
I thought I remembered setting mine back to default but could be mistaken as that was many years ago.

Reply 3 of 5, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aebtdom wrote on 2021-07-08, 03:21:

It depends if you permanently want to overclock your voodoo cards, since that is one of the things this driver does. It caused some instability issues at my pc.

Inside the FastVoodoo 4.6 driver package there's also the Voodoo 2 overclocking tool, which basically adds a new display options tab. It will allow you to easily revert to the default 90 MHz clock (+ also disable vsync for both Direct3D and Glide).

I myself prefer to use the latest reference driver (I believe it's v3.02.02), I've never had any issues with it and find it to be very stable and compatible.
However, since the OP mentioned that he has a mixed Voodoo 2 SLI setup, that will only work with unofficial drivers like FastVoodoo.

By the way, just in case anyone is interested, the Voodoo 2 overclocking tool also works with the reference drivers.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 4 of 5, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will plan on putting the clock speed back to default after I get the SLI setup going using the overclocking tool. I am just waiting on getting the SLI cable.

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 5, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been running the Fast Voodoo driver with my mismatched 12MB cards for about three years. It runs fine with everything I play. However, yes, the built in overclock, does not work well with some cards and can cause some significant degradation in image quality.