VOGONS

First post, by chilun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

Just wanted to gather to thoughts and opinions on this topic as I've seen a lot of tutorials online on how to remove the rather unsightly yellowing of plastics from older computers and crt monitors.

Has anybody attempted this before and if so, would you mind sharing techniques and environment setups in order to carry out this task? Not sure if this is the correct area to post this message on, admins - feel free to move this elsewhere if need be.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi Chilun, that's an interesting topic thanks for asking! 😀

Personally, I merely used the sun for this purpose.
See De-yellowing of plastics by only leaving them under the sun

IMHO it worked rather well for little plastic parts like these bezels (?) for the 3,5" and 5,25" tray.

However, I wouldn't do that with very thin or brittle plastic parts, I think. Or pieces that are rare/hard to come by.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by chilun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-07-10, 21:05:
Hi Chilun, that's an interesting topic thanks for asking! :) […]
Show full quote

Hi Chilun, that's an interesting topic thanks for asking! 😀

Personally, I merely used the sun for this purpose.
See De-yellowing of plastics by only leaving them under the sun

IMHO it worked rather well for little plastic parts like these bezels (?) for the 3,5" and 5,25" tray.

However, I wouldn't do that with very thin or brittle plastic parts, I think. Or pieces that are rare/hard to come by.

Thank you for your feedback, I guess I will just try it by leaving it out when the sun is out and see how that works without the hair conditioner/plastic wrap ☺️

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're welcome! 😃

I wish you good luck!

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used 40 volume creme peroxide and a grow lamp inside a foil-lined container to brighten up the plastic bezels for my stuff.
It takes a little longer than natural sunlight, but you get finer control over how white it ends up because it goes slower, and it also works in winter months. If you let it sit too long it can bleach it TOO white and it won't match the case paint anymore.

Reply 5 of 5, by chilun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DNSDies wrote on 2021-07-12, 07:06:

I used 40 volume creme peroxide and a grow lamp inside a foil-lined container to brighten up the plastic bezels for my stuff.
It takes a little longer than natural sunlight, but you get finer control over how white it ends up because it goes slower, and it also works in winter months. If you let it sit too long it can bleach it TOO white and it won't match the case paint anymore.

Thank you for your feedback, i think i would need a fish tank sized container for the monitor plastics 😀