VOGONS

First post, by StolleMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

I have a bizarre issue where my system doesn't seem to recognise that it is capable of EGA graphics unless I first load GEM.

It seems that running GEM somehow 'reminds' the system that it has an EGA capable graphics chip. Is it loading some sort of TSR or something?

eg. for King's Quest:

If I cold boot and run "SCIV.EXE" from DOS3.2 I get a black screen.
I can use the -C parameter to force CGA and it works
If I run "SCIV.EXE" from GEM it works as it should in EGA mode
Then if I quit GEM and go back to DOS it works as it should in EGA mode

This is also the case for Duke Nukem 1, Prince of Persia (will run in CGA mode using the -CGA parameter) and Commander Keen. There isn't enough memory to run Commander Keen or Duke Nukem from GEM but they work fine once I quit back to DOS. It's obviously not a huge issue but it is a bit of a pain to go through so many steps just to run a game...

Before running GEM
eNT3dw9.jpeg

After running GEM
P7AW1DM.jpeg

I can't replicate the issue in 86Box.

System specs for anybody interested:
Standard Amstrad PC1640
PCCD Monitor
Amstrad Mouse and Keyboard
A: 360K 5.25"
B: 720K 3.5"
C: XT-IDE CF card with single 32mb partition
MSDOS 3.2 + GEM installed to HDD from original floppies.

Last edited by StolleMan on 2021-07-25, 02:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What does SCIV.EXE -E do?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about your dip switches? AFAIR, Amstrad PC1640 had dip switches to select video card, so maybe you have selected CGA...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 5, by StolleMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote on 2021-07-25, 09:10:

What about your dip switches? AFAIR, Amstrad PC1640 had dip switches to select video card, so maybe you have selected CGA...

The dip switches are set as follows:

OFF-OFF-OFF-ON-ON-ON-ON-OFF-OFF-OFF

Judging by the link below, I think it's configured correctly. I am curious as to what would happen if I set Switch 8 to 'ON' (enable 32k of ega rom)?

https://www.seasip.info/AmstradXT/pc1640dip.html

Edit: I've been digging a bit deeper into the manual, I bet this is somehow tied to the 'display' command. This can software override the dip-switch settings. My guess is that GEM utilises display.com

Edit 2: Tomorrow I'm going to add a line to autoexec.bat. "display cdcolor". I think that'll do the trick. Thanks Zup for pointing me in the right direction.

Edit 3: adding the line in autoexec did the trick. As a side effect I now know how to change the video modes on the fly via software.

Reply 5 of 5, by willinliv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't remember what I was originally looking for but awesome thread, pleased I found it. I didn't get as far as page 437 in the manual to discover you could switch the display settings on the fly. Allowed me to get Round 42 nicely running on my PC1640, with a batch file to temporarily adjust display and convert it back again without having to mess with the DIP switches
https://youtu.be/zJG8gNj91Kk