VOGONS

First post, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everybody, hope you are all fine !

I have this old card that is not working.
I would like to update the BIOS of this card as the installed BIOS was not the good one.
I've searched the web but can't find this exact model : ASUS Radeon HD 4650 Low Profile with (I think) 128 bit memory bus.

Here are some pictures of the card :

88660-2245-draft.jpg

88660-2258-draft.jpg

If someone has this card, it would be nice to make a BIOS dump !
Thanks for your help 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by libv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While i cannot provide you with a BIOS valid for this exact board, i can point you to some tools to help with this:

Linux flashing tool flashrom adjusted for ATI: https://github.com/libv/flashrom/tree/ati
AtomBIOS disassembly tool: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~mhopf/AtomDis/ in case you wish to take a closer look at what is flashed in there now.

Reply 2 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
parhelia512 wrote on 2021-07-31, 21:04:
Hi everybody, hope you are all fine ! […]
Show full quote

Hi everybody, hope you are all fine !

I have this old card that is not working.
I would like to update the BIOS of this card as the installed BIOS was not the good one.
I've searched the web but can't find this exact model : ASUS Radeon HD 4650 Low Profile with (I think) 128 bit memory bus.

Here are some pictures of the card :

88660-2245-draft.jpg

88660-2258-draft.jpg

If someone has this card, it would be nice to make a BIOS dump !
Thanks for your help 😀

EDIT - First off, did you check the TechPowerUp BIOS library at https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architec … memSize=&since=

I have a couple NIB that seems like the card your looking for

Asus EAH4650_01.JPG
Filename
Asus EAH4650_01.JPG
File size
267.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Asus EAH4650_02.JPG
Filename
Asus EAH4650_02.JPG
File size
595.53 KiB
Views
File license
Asus EAH4650_03.JPG
Filename
Asus EAH4650_03.JPG
File size
491.35 KiB
Views
File license

If no-one else has a copy immediately to hand I can probably dump the BIOS with GPU-Z in the next few days, though I've no idea if this would be the "good one" or not - can you explain a bit more or quote 'good & bad' version numbers.

Reply 3 of 7, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello and thank you for your answers !

THanks for the tools but right now, my EEPROM is empty and have tested some BIOSES from techpowerup with no success.
It looks like this card as ASYNT memory and I can't find a compatible bios.

PC Hoarder Patrol, yes, this is this card, same memory so a GPU-Z DUMP would be perfect ! Thank you so much ! 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by libv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does GPU-Z dump from SPI, from the pci bar, or from 0xC:0000?

SPI is not likely, as i REed it from scratch a few years ago, and almost no-one picked up on it.

As for the PCI BAR: ATI, in its infinite wisdom, disabled reading from the PCI BAR through some magic register (that ATI of course did not tell us about), during ASICInit (the main initialization of ATOMBIOS -- which we got to bisect to find this). At least on the R500 and R600, since this card is likely an R(v)7xx it probably still does the same. We ran into this issue as restarting X is a common thing, while reloading a windows display driver without a reboot is notsocommon.

Dumping from the C segment means dumping from a RAM copy of the BIOS, and some VGA BIOSes are known to edit themselves in place.

If GPU-Z does the pci bar routine, then the easiest way is to boot this card as a secondary VGA device and to not initialize any drivers for it.

Reply 5 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
parhelia512 wrote on 2021-08-07, 11:05:
Hello and thank you for your answers ! […]
Show full quote

Hello and thank you for your answers !

THanks for the tools but right now, my EEPROM is empty and have tested some BIOSES from techpowerup with no success.
It looks like this card as ASYNT memory and I can't find a compatible bios.

PC Hoarder Patrol, yes, this is this card, same memory so a GPU-Z DUMP would be perfect ! Thank you so much ! 😀

Had a bit of time today so thought I'd get it done - checked each card in case they were different BIOS revisions but no, both the same. Hope the attached helps

RV730_EAH4650.jpg
Filename
RV730_EAH4650.jpg
File size
79.52 KiB
Views
File license
Filename
RV730_EAH4650.zip
File size
39.82 KiB
Downloads
50 downloads
File license

Reply 7 of 7, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all

Sorry for my late answer.
No luck...It seems the problem of my card is not BIOS related...The card isn't even recognized in the system properties when booting with another card.

Thanks for your precious help !