VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried plugging this into a VIA VT82C596 slot 1 motherboard and the system will only beep (indicating a problem) at power on and display no video.

The beeps are one long beep followed by three short beeps. This is the same error sound that occurs if no video card is installed at all.

Is there something wrong with my graphics card or is it possible that the card is too old to function in this motherboard? Or maybe I need to set the jumpers somehow?

IMG_20210802_152110_resize_13.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210802_152110_resize_13.jpg
File size
742.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210802_152053_resize_68.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210802_152053_resize_68.jpg
File size
526.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a guess...
From Diamond Speedstar VGA ISA video card, quick test here, I see jp7 has a jumper.
If that jumper enabled or disabled the bios, that could prohibit the card from being detected by your computers bios and thus result in the one long, three short, gfx ram problem beep code.

edit: after looking at the th99 info, it might just be the dipswitches on the back of the card, setting for 8/16bit bios.

Last edited by weedeewee on 2021-08-02, 21:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

JP7 is the "alternate timing jumper"

AFAIK, it MUST have a jumper either in position 1-2 or 2-3 - on your board it's missing completely

Filename
speedstar_24_users_manual.pdf
File size
4.37 MiB
Downloads
34 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 11, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I set a jumper to 1-2 and the system stops beeping at power on but there is no video or BIOS post beep. Setting the jumper to 2-3 causes the same one-long three-short error beep.

I reseated both the VGA BIOS chips and every other chip on the board for good measure and the result is the same: no beeps but no video or post.

I also tried setting the switch block as indicated in the manual to see if it would boot with alternate settings.

The socketed quad pack chip gets a little warm. Is that normal?

There is also a crystal that is weirdly soldered. It's not flush with the board and has a small bit of foam underneath that appears to be from the factory.

Also notice the chips hiding underneath the very large socketed chips. Very clever!

Attachments

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2021-08-02, 23:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Simple things first: try cleaning the contacts on the bus connector.

Be on the lookout for lifted pins on the ET4000 chip. I've had to reflow the pins on various ISA VGA cards not long ago.
Also, are any of the little rectangular TTL chips getting abnormally hot (some such as the 74F245 and 74F244 chips can get a bit warm, but I'm talking like bare-chip-486DX33 like hot)? Or, conversely, are any TTLs (that aren't CMOS) not warming up at all despite running for a while?

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 7 of 11, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-08-02, 23:26:

There is also a crystal that is weirdly soldered. It's not flush with the board and has a small bit of foam underneath that appears to be from the factory.

That's pretty common, they put that separator to protect the component from heat during the wave soldering process. Crystals are very heat sensitive, it's not a problem when soldering it by hand but when you get a wave of hot solder on the back of the PCB for a few seconds everything gets really hot.

Regarding your problem, I agree with the previous post. Clean the contacts thoroughly and check all the legs on the main chip one by one in case one of them is loose or not properly soldered to the pad.

Reply 8 of 11, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I examined this card closely today under a microscope and found that all of the glass capacitors had cracked! I've never seen anything like this before but apparently it is a thing. There is even a report about it that was written by NASA.

All of these capacitors are rated for 50V though. That all is very high. I wonder what could have caused them to crack.

IMG_20210805_074016.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210805_074016.jpg
File size
852.41 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210805_074033.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210805_074033.jpg
File size
431.06 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 9 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those look like plain old ceramic capacitors (mlcc) in a glas housing. wth?

mechanical stress seems doubtful.
thermal stress there shouldn't have been, though maybe left out in a cold garage and brought in to a hot house?
ultrasonic induced stress ?

that's just weird, but could definitly be a cause for non-functioning/malfunctioning, since most of them seems to be for decoupling .
I guess they ran out of exploding tantalums for this board 😉

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 11 of 11, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mystery solved! Sort of. The problem ended up being the motherboard.

I swapped the problematic board that had a VIA VT82C692 and replaced it with an Intel 443EX. The card works perfectly now.

Both boards are from the same era and I used the same components with each motherboard, including the power supply. Maybe the VIA doesn't like pairing with an ISA video card. This is the only one I have so I can't confirm.

Another surprise was how slow... and how fast this card can be at the same time. Doom is extremely laggy but Quake is fast and smooth (35fps) at 320x200. I would think that Quake would be even slower than Doom but this was not the case.