VOGONS

First post, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Early Windows 95 Direct3 games (320x240) show half screen or garbage on fullscreen.

Do you have experience with this?

For example Mortal Kombat 3 CD Windows 95 version or Machine Hunter.

Just tried them on S3 and Pentium 1 133 MMX and Windows 98 SE.

When using ALT+Enter to get into a fullscreen, these games show a stretched image only on first half of the screen ignoring the real height. Resolution of desktop is 800x600 and 16-bit colours.

For MK3 I later found out in the manual, you can use F5 key to change some type of fullscreen rendering or sync and it will solve the issue. But that is only this title specific and you have been just lucky. I will try changing to 640x480 resolution for Machine Huner. I remember I had this issue 15 years ago as well and solved it somehow. W98 SE is running DirectX 6 by default.

Reply 1 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had a similar issue with Gex but only with the intro cinematic when using a S3 ViRGE/GX video card where only the top half of the screen was visible unless I toggle the fullscreen mode. The same intro works without any issues with a on S3 Trio64V+.

It depends of the video card and/or driver.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 6, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember that Street Fighter Alpha 2 had a win95 version that ran at VGA resolution. I trying to remember if it had any of these problems. I have it somewhere, maybe I should go dig it out and check.

Reply 3 of 6, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-09, 20:51:

Had a similar issue with Gex but only with the intro cinematic when using a S3 ViRGE/GX video card where only the top half of the screen was visible unless I toggle the fullscreen mode. The same intro works without any issues with a on S3 Trio64V+.

It depends of the video card and/or driver.

I have exactly Trio64V+ and it does have this issue, not only for cinematics, but also for the video itself.

Now I tried Windows 95 on faster machine Pentium 200 MMX with Voodoo 3 PCI and everything works flawlessly. DirectX is 7.0, even the game requires 3.0. The game reports it might have issues with 3d accelerators on fullscreen, so they recommend ALT+ENTER in game and launch it in the window. Which is what I tried as well. It is using only DirectX 3, so it must be a simple software renderer. Similar to title Adventures of Lomax (which is working on both machines).

Ok, I will put Voodoo 3 PCI into Pentium 1 133MMX machine with Windows 98 and that will pinpoint if the issue is Windows 98 SE vs Windows 95 incompatibility or Trio64V+ vs "some other graphic card" incompability.

Thank you.

Reply 4 of 6, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I can confirm it was graphic card issue.

Installing the same S3 Trio 64V+ with official S3 Windows 95 drivers from Vogons on Windows 95 machine provides same bad result as on Windows 98 on another machine.

This is issue with early MS-DOS games converted to Windows 95 or early win95 games using DirectX 2 or DirectX 3 API.

What I found so far:
1) Geforce FX 5200 Ultra (Win98) not working
2) S3 Trio 64V+ (Win95 and Win98) not working
3) Voodoo 3 PCI (Win95) is working

That means I need extra machine for these games. So one for early Win95 games. One for Win98 games.

Reply 5 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The S3 Trio64V+ driver that comes with older DirectX runtimes has less issues compared to the official one by S3. A notable one in the S3 ones was that the computer locks-up when trying to use a VESA mode in a DOS application while running Windows 9x on a that card, only when using S3VBE20 with CLEAR- parameter mitigates that problem.

You can try these drivers to see if the problem is still there or not with Mortal Kombat 3.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS