VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got this as part of a lot with a motherboard and it was completely dead. Trying to boot with it would cause the BIOS to alarm indicating that no video card was connected. Reseating the BIOS chip did not help.

All seemed fine in the primary chip but many of the legs could be moved when minor force was applied with a finely my tipped probe. Some of the connections would slide almost like they were help in place by a glue (very old flux) rather than a strong joint.

I carefully reflowed all of the joints and gave the card a thorough wash in the sink afterwards. It works great now!

The moral of the story here is to pass your old hardware on to someone who can refurbish it rather than throwing it away. Or if this particularly valuable to you, have it repaired for your own future enjoyment.

IMG_20210812_223025_resize_64.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210812_223025_resize_64.jpg
File size
703.86 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This video card came in the same lot as this motherboard which also needed repair. I have a sneaking suspicion that someone tried to offload their dead retro hardware "as-is" as a means to turn a minor profit. At least I got a good price for all of it and all of it was saved from e-waste in the end.

Reply 1 of 7, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well done, you've managed to salvage enough, but sometimes no amount of skillful hands and a bunch of knowledge can do anything, and some hardware ends up malfunctional in a recycling yard. That's how it is...

Reply 3 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I gotta save up the stuff that needs careful and delicate probing for when I've got the patience and co-ordination. So I do the visual inspection first, and any pins look dull, fluxy, very lightly soldered, I'll clean with isopropyl then run a micro-torch (butane powered) round all the pins, (I guess I'd use a hot air pencil when I get around to buying one) and re-test in system. If it comes right it comes right, if it don't it's saved on the "when I feel like getting up close and personal" pile. Maybe about a 50:50 success rate with that, as first attempt to fix.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't hold it in one spot very long, just play it back and forth.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 7, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not just the flame but the fact that you can't see what you're doing as you do it. Even with good eyesight you would have to put your face close to where the flame is to see anything. Otherwise I think it would be more of a guess as to what the flame is touching.

The advantage of a microscope setup besides being able to see close up is to keep your face far enough from any toxic vapors so that a fume extractor can suck it all away.

Reply 7 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't need to see, when it's cleaned and excess flux is burned off, solder will coalesce and wick into where it's supposed to be. Check after a couple of passes, try again, maybe throw a slice off a "solder splat" on there if there's not enough solder. Think of it as being like when my door hinges are squeaking I don't mess around with a stethoscope to determine which particular two surfaces need a drop of oil applied precisely with a toothpick, I just hit them all with the oil can.

edit: If you're wondering what the analog to the squeak is, it's that the pins "shine wrong" i.e. little or not at all, the pin makes a right angle at the pad, if there's no thin meniscus of solder joining the pin to the pad, that has been applied hot enough it looks too dull there, you might even notice the dark line. So the solder puts in a small fillet between the right angles of the pad and pin when applied sufficiently and is making good contact. No sharp right angle, looks different in the light.