VOGONS

First post, by ocdmonkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recapped a CRT monitor of mine (an IBM type 8515) because I had to leave it on for several minutes before starting my computer otherwise it would turn itself off. Anyway, I finally replaced all the caps and it seems to be working except that it only displays a single blue, horizontal line. When I turn on one of my computers I can see the line's color change in response so I'm guessing that everything else is working correctly.

Anyway, this was the first recapping I've done so I'm already out of my depth here and am really hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I will say that to avoid having to buy way too many different capacitors I decided that when there were multiple caps at the same capacitance but different voltages that I would just get capacitors for the higher voltage, unless the difference was astronomical like 35V to 200V, since looking it up it seems voltage doesn't matter as long as it's higher than or the same as what's required. That's the only thing I can think of that I might have done wrong, other than misreading a single capacitor's value but I think I correctly deduced its value, and besides I'm guessing this problem is from either the board connected directly to the back of the tube, or the big scary thing connected to that suction cup thing towards the top front of the tube.

Thank you in advance.

Reply 1 of 4, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Horizontal line = problem with vertical deflection control circuit/coils. Check deflection coils connector for cracked solder joints or oxidation, make a good visual inspection around vertical deflection IC, perhaps you had shorted something accidentally.

Reply 2 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SSTV2 wrote on 2021-08-21, 18:32:

Horizontal line = problem with vertical deflection control circuit/coils. Check deflection coils connector for cracked solder joints or oxidation, make a good visual inspection around vertical deflection IC, perhaps you had shorted something accidentally.

Remeber that electrolytic caps inserted in the wrong polarity can behave like short circuits!

Reply 3 of 4, by ocdmonkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks but I'm glad to state that while poking around I found I forgot to plug in one of the connectors, and sure enough that's what was causing it! The monitor appears to be behaving as normal now, only without turning itself off when starting my computers. Now I can get back to reassembling it, and hopefully something won't randomly break during that.

Also I'm assuming a fair amount of ghosting when there's motion on a black/dark background is to be expected on a CRT of this vintage?

Reply 4 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can see numerous distinct outlines, that's a signal quality issue (Use a better cable) if it's just trailing edge blur, that's phosphor dwell.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.