VOGONS

First post, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,

As I'm tinkering with vintage builds, I thought it would be nice to add a CRT monitor to my stable of hardware. Currently, I'm using a couple LCD's but none of them are quite like the experience of using a CRT for certain games or software titles.

I've been searching around and found a local seller that has a number of "new" old stock 17" CRT monitors. They're brand new, never used, 17" Daewoo monitors that do up to 1280x1024. They want $195 a piece which I thought was pretty high. I was wondering if you Vogonians think that this is a reasonable price or highway robbery.

Reply 1 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

195USD for a NOS 21 inch CRT may be ok but for a pretty generic 17 inch? Wouldn't pay half of that.
They're probably still going to sell them sooner or later though. There are enough people with more money than sense. LGR videos of unboxing NOS 17 inch CRTs doesn't help either.😄

Reply 3 of 10, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-09-24, 20:41:

195USD for a NOS 21 inch CRT may be ok but for a pretty generic 17 inch? Wouldn't pay half of that.
They're probably still going to sell them sooner or later though. There are enough people with more money than sense. LGR videos of unboxing NOS 17 inch CRTs doesn't help either.😄

This kind of take has always puzzled me. Offer and demand..nobody gets to decide what an acceptable price for a NOS CRT screen is except the buyers. You can of course decide you're not willing to pay that much, though. And if the majority agrees with you the seller will maybe lower the price or hang on to them if he can afford to storage, if anything new-in-box CRT's will go up in value, not down. I wouldn't pay that much for a 17" myself either, mind you. I just don't understand the condescension, I mean it's 200 bucks it's a lot of money but not outrageous and your chances of being able to run it trouble-free for quite some time are substantially higher than any second hand. I've bought 3 CRT's in the past 2 years and in total I paid less than 100 bucks, but I've had issue with two out of the three (fixed one of them and half-fixed the other one, not perfect but usable).

For OP: based on the above I would never say 195 bucks is highway robbery but it still a bit expensive... is your desire to have a CRT (and goddamn I understand that 😁) worth $195? Is 17"your ideal choice? Is NOS really what you want to minimize trouble chance? Are you willing to be patient and wait for a hypothetical better deal, or is the itch worth that much money? In my opinion it only goes down to that in the end.

Reply 4 of 10, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2021-09-24, 21:18:

This kind of take has always puzzled me. Offer and demand..nobody gets to decide what an acceptable price for a NOS CRT screen is except the buyers. You can of course decide you're not willing to pay that much, though. And if the majority agrees with you the seller will maybe lower the price or hang on to them if he can afford to storage, if anything new-in-box CRT's will go up in value, not down. I wouldn't pay that much for a 17" myself either, mind you. I just don't understand the condescension, I mean it's 200 bucks it's a lot of money but not outrageous and your chances of being able to run it trouble-free for quite some time are substantially higher than any second hand. I've bought 3 CRT's in the past 2 years and in total I paid less than 100 bucks, but I've had issue with two out of the three (fixed one of them and half-fixed the other one, not perfect but usable).

For OP: based on the above I would never say 195 bucks is highway robbery but it still a bit expensive... is your desire to have a CRT (and goddamn I understand that 😁) worth $195? Is 17"your ideal choice? Is NOS really what you want to minimize trouble chance? Are you willing to be patient and wait for a hypothetical better deal, or is the itch worth that much money? In my opinion it only goes down to that in the end.

I already tried haggling with the seller and they won't budge. But you're right - value is subjective and from the buyer's POV. I'm just looking for some expert opinions based on past experience. 😀

To answer your questions: 17" is not ideal (I'd prefer 19" @ 1600x1200) but NOS is.

Reply 5 of 10, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CRTs with worn-out tubes are no fun.

If you know how to detect worn-out tubes, you can use used ones.
But there are fewer and fewer of these around.
I am puzzled how many pay ridiculous prices for CRTs with heavily worn-out tubes on ebay.

Reply 6 of 10, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrzmaster wrote on 2021-09-24, 21:23:

I already tried haggling with the seller and they won't budge. But you're right - value is subjective and from the buyer's POV. I'm just looking for some expert opinions based on past experience. 😀

To answer your questions: 17" is not ideal (I'd prefer 19" @ 1600x1200) but NOS is.

Yep, understand you. In my own experience you're better off scouring local classified ads and such, ebay prices are always inflated. 17" is still quite common to find, bigger ones much less so. In your shoes I'd try to get a decent-looking used 17" or luckily 19", while waiting for that potential nice bigger NOS screen deal, one can hope 😀 with a little patience on local ads I scored a 19" for free 1 hour from my home. It quickly started to have problems and that's the one I only managed to half-fix, but heh, can't complain as it only cost gas money.

Reply 7 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Price ain't bad to me, but I am remembering when $200 only got you a 14" and that was in 1995 dollars that were worth 3x as much. Mid noughties there were clear out price crashes where you could have got a new 17" for less as LCD started to take over, but they weren't made to sell at that price. I'd say if there had remained a consistent market for them, like LCDs had some weird flaw that made a certain industry unable to use them, they would be over $400 made new today.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 10, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To properly ship a CRT is likely $75 alone in shipping and packaging costs, so there's that.
What will you use them for? If it's for 320x200 and 640x480 games (arguably where a CRT over LCD makes the most sense), who cares that they're only 17". Less to lug around.

Reply 10 of 10, by HangarAte2nds!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrzmaster wrote on 2021-09-24, 20:33:

Hey all,

As I'm tinkering with vintage builds, I thought it would be nice to add a CRT monitor to my stable of hardware. Currently, I'm using a couple LCD's but none of them are quite like the experience of using a CRT for certain games or software titles.

I've been searching around and found a local seller that has a number of "new" old stock 17" CRT monitors. They're brand new, never used, 17" Daewoo monitors that do up to 1280x1024. They want $195 a piece which I thought was pretty high. I was wondering if you Vogonians think that this is a reasonable price or highway robbery.

I would pay it if I could afford it. I have 3 old monitors but one of them are pretty worn out. NOS CRT monitors are not exactly plentiful. I don't think Daewoo is a bad brand, they just aren't known in the US very well. They failed here as an auto company and that may be the only reason people have a bad impression of the brand. When I lived in the UK, I got a reasonably positive impression of their electronics. I know their later monitors used Samsung Dyna Flat tubes. Since the one you mention sounds like an earlier model because of the resolution, I would expect it to have older dot-type filter mask. Potentially good picture (depends on if they licensed Panasync) but a power hog. I tend to prefer aperture grille tubes but who doesn't. I grew up with both a Trinitron and a Panasync and they were both great. Now I have cheaper knockoffs of those two technologies. ViewSonic CRTs are nice too. They used an aperture grille like Sony. By the early 2000's I think most monitor manufacturers were copying Sony because the patent expired.