VOGONS

First post, by gras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Re-asking and earlier raised question about fan speed on Nvidia AGP 7800 GS AGP (BFG brand).

From this thread, I learned about Nibitor, nvclock and more.

My situation: I built a "catch all" semi-retro rig with a P4 3Ghz CPU, Audigy 2ZS, AGP 7800 AGP card and even a Voodoo 2 PCI card for very specific nostalgic reasons. I have everything up and running reasonably with Windows XP, Windows 98 and DOS (the Windows 98 DOS mode). There are some quirks here and there, since the machine is way to fast and the soundblaster is emulated for true DOS, but I can live with that (or use my 486 with true Soundblaster and GUS in it).

My problem: The BFG Nvidia AGP 7800 GS has it's fan on 100% speed when the machine boots. It slows down when Windows (both XP and 98) loads, but not in DOS. In Windows XP, I can control the fan with Rivatuner. Since NVclock won't let me control the fan in DOS, the other threads suggest using Nibitor to overwrite the BIOS with lower fan speed. Nibitor, shows that that the 2D Fan speed is already at 50%, which kind of sounds right for the level of noise of the fan. Rivatuner agrees that 50% is the current setting.
My question is:
- Can I change something with Nibitor (and save the rom and flash it) that will make the fan speed be low, also in DOS? I can clearly hear that when I boot to DOS, the fan is much more noisy, sounds like when I put it at 100% in Rivatuner in WinXP.

The fan percentages for 3D and 2D are editable in Nibitor, but the rest of the percentages are not (see screenshot). As you can see, the fan speed should be at 50% in 2D, which I assume applies to DOS, but it is clearly not.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Kind regards, Chris

Attachments