VOGONS

First post, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The good:
A Ti 4200 w/128 MB and 8x AGP. (I thought they were all 64?) I'm willing to bet the clock speeds are tweaked out of the box as well.
When it works, this thing is awesome and puts up some great stats in 3dMark 2001 SE.

The bad:
When it doesn't work, it will not get through all the tests in 3D mark and hang the entire system.
When it doesn't work, just about every game will hang, forcing a total shut down\reboot.

I've pretty much troubleshot drivers out of the equation and receive similar issues on different Win98 units with different motherboards, chipsets, etc....

I'm pretty sure we've got a hardware issue here and not heat generated.

Caps look good, nothing singed\burnt.... etching on the board is in good shape.

I'm leaning toward some memory starting to give up the ghost.

Any other ideas?

Reply 1 of 8, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A not fully compatible mainboard? Caps on mainboard getting bad? Power supply? OS issues? Driver issues?
In other words, more details are welcome

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 4 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had lockups with Ti4600 because of the PSU. I swapped it and it worked 100%.

In case of overheating, try using some large fan (>12cm) and hold it (fix it) close to the card to cool it.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tomcattech wrote on 2022-03-09, 23:52:

Reviving here.

I actually got this to work with a different PSU (the old one is still fine in the original unit).... go figure.

Likely not supplying enough angry pixies on one of the rails or the old PSU has a weak rail, you would need to test its voltages via a multi meter to find out where the weak rail is.

Reply 7 of 8, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-10, 00:22:

Reviving here.

I actually got this to work with a different PSU (the old one is still fine in the original unit).... go figure.

Likely not supplying enough angry pixies on one of the rails or the old PSU has a weak rail, you would need to test its voltages via a multi meter to find out where the weak rail is.

I think you're right.

Considering the unit that the old PSU is on now, it's not a priority and works well for the system it is on.

One day I might actually break out the multi meter to verify though....

Reply 8 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tomcattech wrote on 2022-03-10, 01:02:
I think you're right. […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-10, 00:22:

Reviving here.

I think you're right.

Considering the unit that the old PSU is on now, it's not a priority and works well for the system it is on.

One day I might actually break out the multi meter to verify though....

Something to keep in the back of your mind when the old unit decides that its time to not power up, I have had two old AT PSUs do this and it was as simple as opening it and checking for dead caps and switching them out . .after discharging them safely.