VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried one I had in storage for years, now it has random screen corruption. Worth exploring ram chip replacement or dump it?

Reply 1 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VRAM just don't randomly go bad sitting in a closet, but capacitors certainly do.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-11-13, 09:29:

VRAM just don't randomly go bad sitting in a closet, but capacitors certainly do.

Could also be ESD damage if it had been stored improperly and the packaging it was stored in was improperly handled (like it sitting in a weak box with tons of stuff piled on top of it making the box sag and the board flex).

You reckon it could be feasible for it to be damage caused by fluctuating temperatures in which it was stored?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 10, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2021-11-16, 14:25:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-11-13, 09:29:

Could also be ESD damage if it had been stored improperly and the packaging it was stored in was improperly handled (like it sitting in a weak box with tons of stuff piled on top of it making the box sag and the board flex).

You reckon it could be feasible for it to be damage caused by fluctuating temperatures in which it was stored?

It does get cold and hot here, but the inside temps are far more regulated. Possible I guess?

Reply 5 of 10, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's indeed a VRAM issue, I guess it depends on how skilled you are with BGA replacement (or how cheap you can find such a service).
I also have an ASUS V9950 Ultra which I bought a few months ago, but it turned out to be half-dead (same problem - apparent VRAM issue or maybe GPU connection issue, capacitors are in top shape - I tested them). At some point I might try and see if it can be repaired (not by me, I don't have the proper tools or the skill to replace BGA chips). Until then, I'm still keeping it because it's just a beautiful card.

Joakim wrote on 2021-11-16, 18:11:

Put it on eBay and call it not tested! 😉

But sell it as "for parts or not working", otherwise, if you sell it as "Used", eBay will quickly take the money out of your account and refund the buyer 😜

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 6 of 10, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess that is my question -- would anyone buy a broken 5900U for parts in the hope of repairing it? I don't like dealing with ebay and I avoid it unless the amount I can sell something for makes it worth it.

Reply 8 of 10, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-16, 18:23:

It was a joke I would never sell it but I would never sell anything worth less than 50$ anyway..

Of course, I got that! I was also joking... but with a serious undertone. 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 9 of 10, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bloodem wrote on 2021-11-16, 18:32:
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-16, 18:23:

It was a joke I would never sell it but I would never sell anything worth less than 50$ anyway..

Of course, I got that! I was also joking... but with a serious undertone. 😀

So was I!

giphy (1).gif
Filename
giphy (1).gif
File size
1.49 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could just be bad solder joints if it worked when you put it away.

If it were me, I would try cleaning the card and then squirting some no-clean solder flux liquid under each VRAM chip and then use a hot air rework station to reflow the existing solder balls.

I fixed a PS3 that way and would suspect that other things can be fixed the same way. Much easier and quicker than removing chips, cleaning the pads, getting a solder ball mask, applying the new solder balls, and then resoldering the VRAM chips.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK