VOGONS

First post, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I found a Palit 460 in my cupboard and for the hell of it, thought I'd check online to see how much this old card is fetching. Imagine my surprise when I find its selling for about £30 more than other GTX460 cards.

Does anyone know why that might be? WinXP gamers? I can only think it has to be something retro gaming related, such as it being one of the upper model cards for XP for something. But I'm just guessing here.

Will probably put it to one side for a future build, as having a spare XP supporting video card never hurts. Was just wondering if anyone knew why this card is particular was fetching more than other 460's. I tried looking but couldn't find anything obvious.

There's an old android saying which I believe is peculiarly appropriate here. In binary language it goes something like this: 001100111011000111100, which roughly translated means: "Don't stand around jabbering when you're in mortal danger!"

Reply 2 of 6, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GPU prices are just haywire right now. That's why the price offerings are so high and somewhat random. When Intel starts pooping out their new GPUs, things might stabilize and prices could decrease, as their cards should be solid for gaming and productivity, reducing demand for Nvidia and AMD GPUs.

Reply 3 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel GPUs won't do jack sh*t on prices, because they also order chips from TSMC.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 6, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-11-13, 22:03:

Is it actually selling or is it just on offer for that price?

Yeah, I was looking at completed listings. And the Palit card I have is selling for between £15-30 more than another brand GTX460. Which got be scratching my head, thinking "Really? Why is it more expensive?". Tried to do a little searching online, but couldn't really find anything that stood out, so thought I'd post here and see if anyone else might know.

As I only recently built myself a 2009 XP gaming rig (i still can't get used to calling 2009 "retro"), my first thought was collectability / compatability with XP.

Yeah as some have mentioned there is the whole GPU shortage, but i didn't think that would apply to a 11 year old video card.

There's an old android saying which I believe is peculiarly appropriate here. In binary language it goes something like this: 001100111011000111100, which roughly translated means: "Don't stand around jabbering when you're in mortal danger!"

Reply 6 of 6, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nah it's fine, thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else might know. As I couldn't see any reason why it was special.

Back in to the spares drawer it goes 🤣