VOGONS

First post, by sndtst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Voodoo2 (Arcade/FXII with 8MB of RAM from Best Data) that seems to pass all of the diagnostics but when I launch a game I get a magenta hue on the video. In Tomb Raider it crashed after the 3DFX logo. I'm still trying to get a copy of Descent 2 which I had working on this card on a different system. The computer I'm testing this on is a clean P166MmX running DOS 6.22. I've tried different monitors and cables (all with the same result). The card appears clean but if anyone know what area might contribute to this I can take closer pictures and check traces/resistance if it helps. Anyone have any ideas? On the other computer (running Win98 with a Riva TNT) I was able to get into Descent 2 and Tomb Raider and the magenta hue persisted but those were running in win98 with glide drivers so it might be harder to diagnose exactly what is going wrong with so many components and driver layers.

Attachments

A Sound Test for as many games as I can find at SNDTST.com

Reply 2 of 6, by sndtst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Located the right pins and about to setup a measurement harness but before I do I think I have a reliable test for what colors are having an issue.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

running Win98 with a Riva TNT

Don't forget to remove pass-through cable.

Also some useful info: Successfully fixed a 3DFx Voodoo2 with miscolored output

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 6, by sndtst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That thread was exactly what I needed! Thank you 😀 I tested the RGB pins on the RAMDAC and got values near the range that the fix thread OP said were out of range. In my case, my card uses a Texas Instruments TVP3409-135CNF RAMDAC which is proving hard to source. I haven't found if these chips are interchangeable so I'm waiting for an Alibaba seller to get back to me, the other main sites DigiKey and Mouser both want minimum orders of at least 100 (and at $2.80 a chip).

Reply 6 of 6, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you actually try to also run some native Win 95/Win 98 Glide or Direct 3D games?
That magenta hue in Tomb Raider is normal with Voodoo 2 when not setting the compatibility environment variables.

Try other Glide games like NFS 2 SE, Unreal, etc. and report back.

And as for Tomb Raider 1, if you really want to play it on a Voodoo 2 with the original TOMB3DFX.EXE file (the one for Voodoo 1, not Voodoo Rush), then you need to first run the attached batch file.
If you get an error that complains about no more space left for environment variables, add the following line to the MS-DOS config.sys and then reboot:

Shell=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM /E:512 /P

Attachments

• Filename
    TOMBSET.zip
    File size
    300 Bytes
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k