VOGONS

First post, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey everyone!

I have an option of keeping one of these two Banshees. Which one should I keep (and why) ??

- Sparkle SP3800
https://3dfx-banshee.de/banshee-cards-overvie … sparkle-sp3800/
[mine has the NEWEST-style CHIP "500-0013-04" [3001] (the type with a recessed circle in the center), and Hyundai branded memory. And the Tantalum capacitors are yellow instead of black.]

- Skywell Magic TwinPower OEM
https://3dfx-banshee.de/banshee-cards-overvie … -twinpower-oem/
[mine has the OLD-style CHIP "500-0013-04" [1001] ]

Both of mine have 8ns SGRAM, and except for the differences mentioned, they are visually identical with the ones in the links above.
Also, they both seem to perform absolutely identical in 3dM2000.

Please help me choose! 😁

Edited: added more details about the chips

Last edited by B24Fox on 2021-12-03, 18:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Make that, out of 3 cards!

- Chaintech Desperado 3F10
https://3dfx-banshee.de/banshee-cards-overvie … tech-desperado/
[under the heatsink, mine has the OLDEST-style CHIP to be put on the banshee: "500-0013-03" [1001] ] -- doesn't even work on winXP unless 3rd party drivers are used (works flawless under 98)

So, to provide more context... I already have an InnoVision Banshee that works just fine. Which has the newest-style chip.
But I want to have one more as a backup. And I can't decide what to go for... Should I go for diversity, and keep the Chaintech with it's oldest (maybe more collectible) chip?
Should I maybe go for the Sparkle, as it has better capacitors, and the latest revision chip?!
Do the chips even matter??!

Reply 3 of 9, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wel, i would go for the sparkle. Recently, I have seen at least two such cards offered for sale in working order, thus it appears they are better built. I am a bit biased, as the skywell voodoos I have seen did not impress me at all.

Anyway, since those are 3dfx cards, better to keep all 3 of them 😁.

Last edited by mihai on 2021-12-03, 22:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I flipped CND $0.25 for you, it came up moose.

edit: sorry caribou ... it's the fault of that cartoon, start seeing Bullwinkle everywhere.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey, dude!
I'd keep the Sparkle SP3800 because of the unusual heatsink and the big '3Dfx BANSHEE' on the PCB. Yellow caps on the green card sound cool too.
Don't know wether purely cosmetical arguments are what you're looking for though. 😅

Reply 6 of 9, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having looked at all three I have to say the gold one is damn sexy and pretty unusual too, the Sparkle one is nice for the heat sink and badges.

But .. keeping all three is the only possible answer here.

No seriously if you have to pick one the gold Chaintec one is the most unusual and likely rarest.

Reply 8 of 9, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm gonna try and reply to everyone in order 😄 :

stef80 wrote on 2021-12-03, 20:32:

I'd keep whichever looks best cosmetically and/or has no issues with drivers 😁.

#1 cosmetically is by far the Chaintech.. which does have the driver issue in XP. But i reckon that might be because of the chip model.
I don't know if to consider this 1st model chip something to be sought for, or to be avoided. About 10 banshees i've ever seen, and this is the only one with this kind of chip.

mihai wrote on 2021-12-03, 20:50:

wel, i would go for the sparkle. Recently, I have seen at least two such cards offered for sale in working order, thus it appears they are better built. I am a bit biased, as the skywell voodoos I have seen did not impress me at all.

Anyway, since those are 3dfx cards, better to keep all 3 of them 😁.

I wish I could! , believe me! 😁
But i'm kinda strapped for cash, and getting another banshee would mean giving up on a Voodoo 3 Velocity that has presented itself (which i know are not great, but i don't have any of those in my collection)

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-03, 20:53:

I flipped CND $0.25 for you, it came up moose.

edit: sorry caribou ... it's the fault of that cartoon, start seeing Bullwinkle everywhere.

Thanks?! I guess..?

Doornkaat wrote on 2021-12-03, 22:16:

Hey, dude!
I'd keep the Sparkle SP3800 because of the unusual heatsink and the big '3Dfx BANSHEE' on the PCB. Yellow caps on the green card sound cool too.
Don't know wether purely cosmetical arguments are what you're looking for though. 😅

Doornkaaaaat! Heyyyy!!! 😁 😁
Well.. sadly only the Chaintech has the heatsink; the other 2, don't. But i have replacement rads, so it's not really an issue.
The cosmetical appearance is certainly a factor, but i'm also trying to consider build quality (or manufacturer), and the possible value/importance of one type of chip over the other.

TrashPanda wrote on 2021-12-04, 05:22:

Having looked at all three I have to say the gold one is damn sexy and pretty unusual too, the Sparkle one is nice for the heat sink and badges.

But .. keeping all three is the only possible answer here.

No seriously if you have to pick one the gold Chaintec one is the most unusual and likely rarest.

The Chaintec is most certainly the prettiest IRL, and sems to have more copper on the PCB, and a thicker coat of lacquer... and it's in almost pristine condition ...and it has the original heatsink.
But i'm a bit fazed about the driver/CHIP weirdness. Dunno if that model chip should be avoided, or what..

stef80 wrote on 2021-12-04, 09:41:

Sparkle is nice.
But unles it's Diamond Multimedia, Canopus or Asus .... in that order, I think it doesen't really matter what it is 😀.

It's true that all 3 are pretty much the "standard design". But there are definitely some differences in build quality, and choice of components.
Not to mention that all 3 have different revision chips 😕

Now seeing that the Skywell was the least preferred by everyone, I'll take it out of the equation, and will do some really hard thinking about the other two.
In a few days i'll be forced to make this decision; so ANY other suggestions/insight into this matter, will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you to everyone!! 🍀