VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wondering which mac models came with this option?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh so you had to buy them for mac after the fact huh?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 11, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, and there was enough of a market for there to be mac specific versions of some Voodoo cards. If I am not mistaken, there's even a voodoo card that uses the very early iMac G3 Mezzanine port.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 5 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dfx were quite salty that Apple bundled their PCs with ATi cards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 11, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And Apple users should have been, too. I mean, Rage 128 in a video editing "supercomputer?" C'mon! 😜

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 8 of 11, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, if all you used your expensive Power Mac for was watching DVDs (though by the time OS X became a usable operating system, Apple were big on using AltiVec for DVD playback, ignoring whatever MPEG assist features the GPU had).

I don't think anyone actually edited in MPEG2 back then, and exporting DV to MPEG2 would've been done on the CPU.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 9 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose 3dfx (and Nvidia until GeForce 2 MX) weren't reliable OEM partners from Apple point of view. Only ATi and Matrox had good enough reputation at that time, but Matrox were more niche and most likely more expensive. It's not all about bells and whistles when it comes to OEM, hence why S3 have managed to bring so much joy to buyers of prebuilt computers, with their "aged like fine wine" Virge chips, for almost 4 years!

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 11, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-12-09, 18:56:

I suppose 3dfx (and Nvidia until GeForce 2 MX) weren't reliable OEM partners from Apple point of view. Only ATi and Matrox had good enough reputation at that time, but Matrox were more niche and most likely more expensive. It's not all about bells and whistles when it comes to OEM, hence why S3 have managed to bring so much joy to buyers of prebuilt computers, with their "aged like fine wine" Virge chips, for almost 4 years!

ATi/AMD did have a good relationship with Apple for the longest time. We'll see if they stop dealing with one another when the M1 mac pros start appearing, though.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 11 of 11, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-12-09, 16:22:

And Apple users should have been, too. I mean, Rage 128 in a video editing "supercomputer?" C'mon! 😜

You need to remember that back then, the graphics card wasn't used for any kind of video editing prowess. As long as a card could display content quickly, that was all that mattered. For basic DV editing (i.e what the average user would use it for) it was more than good enough. And if you needed to edit anything more serious you'd have dedicated hardware that you'd install in the system.