VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can anyone confirm these resistances? These components are diodes D501 and D503 on the rear of my vanilla EVGA GeForce 6800. These measurements were taken with my multimeter set to 2000 ohms max.

Thank you.

IMG_20211224_073810_resize_36.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211224_073810_resize_36.jpg
File size
142.47 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 13, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the leadtek winfast A400 series.
A short look to a review of the standard A400 and it seems it has the same layout than the EVGA model.

I am already at my parents home during chrismas, so i could make a measurement begin of next year.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 2 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That’s not the correct way to measure a diode

Put it on the diode setting and it will give you a voltage drop value depending on polarity (measure both ways, post results)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 13, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you clarify? I always thought that the value presented by the diode setting was just the resistance as a way to help you identify how closely is approaches a dead short. For example, my meter will beep on the diode setting at a very low resistance but still something higher than if I were to touch the two probes together. When it beeps, I then need to look at the meter and decide whether it's actually a short or just a result of the layout that it has a low resistance. I don't know the underlying layout of the board which is why I would like to reference a known working board to confirm if these values are normal.

I measured across the diodes and got a similar result: 76/83 and 4/4 (measuring both ways).

I get different readings on these dioes depending on how I set my meter to measure resistance. This is why I noted specifically that I set my meter to 2000 ohms max. It's also a garbage meter so all of my readings are very imprecise. I'm more interested in the reading or diode D501 and to see how close it is to 0 on another board.

Reply 4 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-12-27, 15:46:

Can you clarify? I always thought that the value presented by the diode setting was just the resistance as a way to help you identify how closely is approaches a dead short. For example, my meter will beep on the diode setting at a very low resistance but still something higher than if I were to touch the two probes together. When it beeps, I then need to look at the meter and decide whether it's actually a short or just a result of the layout that it has a low resistance. I don't know the underlying layout of the board which is why I would like to reference a known working board to confirm if these values are normal.

I measured across the diodes and got a similar result: 76/83 and 4/4 (measuring both ways).

I get different readings on these dioes depending on how I set my meter to measure resistance. This is why I noted specifically that I set my meter to 2000 ohms max. It's also a garbage meter so all of my readings are very imprecise. I'm more interested in the reading or diode D501 and to see how close it is to 0 on another board.

Different diode types will
Have different voltage drops

The meter will display the voltage drop value

Measuring the resistance isn’t useless but it isn’t the way or the primary way you should do it.

Just find all the resistors on that board and check their voltage drop if they all look like the same type and there are many of them and all read near the same they are probably all fine. If they all look the same and some read different those are probably bad

https://www.google.com/search?q=diode+voltage … mobile&ie=UTF-8

Your meter may use different voltages to measure resistance the diode only drops so many volts so at different voltages the percentage would be different. Like I said, reaistance is the wrong way to read a diode. You can note what it is though. And compare with others, but installed board components are likely also affecting the reading. it’s not a useless measurement just doesn’t tell us much.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ydee wrote on 2021-12-29, 10:04:

For MSI NX6800, if I set the multimeter to 2kOhm, I'll measure this:

Looks like it’s pretty similar to OP’s reading.

What do you get on the diode setting both polarities

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 7 of 13, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was hoping for something more useful. Thank you for measuring this for me.

I've already repaired several broken SMD capacitors on this card but it still refuses to output a display when powered on. I've stared at of for hours under a microscope but have been unable to late any other problems.

My electronics experience is limited so I don't know what else to do to investigate this further.

Reply 8 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-12-29, 11:45:

I was hoping for something more useful. Thank you for measuring this for me.

I've already repaired several broken SMD capacitors on this card but it still refuses to output a display when powered on. I've stared at of for hours under a microscope but have been unable to late any other problems.

My electronics experience is limited so I don't know what else to do to investigate this further.

Maybe broken solder balls on the gpu?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 10 of 13, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, that's all I know how to help. If there's no visible damage, it's hard to find a fault.
I had 2 cards with artifacts where there was nothing to lose and after heating the airgun, FX5900XT ran without artifacts and worked, FX5700, on the other hand, had even more artifacts. So it's a lottery, and I think of the airgun as the ultimate option, when there's nothing left to lose. If it was a rarer piece, I'd probably try reball with the professionals, but 6800 isn't that rare.

Reply 11 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-12-29, 12:14:

It's always possible. I want to exhaust every alternative as blasting the die with hot air would likely just destroy it.

You have to regulate the temperature of the air that hits the die.

It’s definitely tricky, that’s no lie.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 13 of 13, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No way, to use that way using the solder paste, you would do that? 😀 Use plenty of flux.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.