VOGONS

First post, by Shcookius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a cool Geforce 4 TI on sale that is listed with a "broken" VGA port but has a functioning DVI-I port.

If I were to source a high quality "active" converter to drive my CRT through this port, would I lose any sort of functionality or features over the card's internal DAC?

What converters would you recommend? Thanks!

Reply 3 of 5, by Shcookius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2021-12-30, 18:59:

Unless you're an extreme videophile, you can pick up just about any old DVI-I to VGA adapter. There are a number of posts I've read floating around here, though, indicating the DVI on the GeForce 4 series was rather lousy. I know when I had a Ti4600 it looked terrible on an LCD (lots of color banding). Maybe it was burnt up or maybe it will be better through DVI-I to VGA conversion. I still have a Ti4200, but I never used the DVI-I port.

Thanks for your help. I purchased a 4200 with 64 MB DDR instead. WINFast stuff appears to be pretty solid.

Reply 5 of 5, by Shcookius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2021-12-30, 20:38:
Shcookius wrote on 2021-12-30, 20:13:
Meatball wrote on 2021-12-30, 18:59:

Unless you're an extreme videophile, you can pick up just about any old DVI-I to VGA adapter. There are a number of posts I've read floating around here, though, indicating the DVI on the GeForce 4 series was rather lousy. I know when I had a Ti4600 it looked terrible on an LCD (lots of color banding). Maybe it was burnt up or maybe it will be better through DVI-I to VGA conversion. I still have a Ti4200, but I never used the DVI-I port.

Thanks for your help. I purchased a 4200 with 64 MB DDR instead. WINFast stuff appears to be pretty solid.

You're welcome and enjoy! It's a great video card.

Ahem. In the interest of telling the truth I broke down and bought both. I grabbed the WINFAST 4200 I mentioned and the MSI 4800SE after the seller confirmed that the VGA port was not broken but in fact working.