VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I'm testing a Pentium II 400 config (i440BX) with different cards and while I can't get my Riva NV4 to boot cause some bios problem (probably) that seems like the time correct card for such config, I was trying both the 1999 Riva 128 ZX AGP and the Rage Pro Turbo (also the Rage Mobility-P 8MB). The Riva 128 ZX seems to have problems with flashing textures while I can accept its alternative texture filtering but not that, so I'm trying the Rage Pro Turbo that seems like a more promising card I was expecting on some games and strangely in others fails a lot to impress with missing texture lighting or effects. I'm using latest 2002 drivers.
In this game (Thief II) the speed is quite ok but something is wrong with textures shadows that are not smooth and dark. Same thing for colored light points but the shadows are the worst part. Are there any fix I can try with some driver tweak?
I'm impressed by this video chip considering it doesn't even have an heatsink and stays cold most times. I also tried the Mobility-P more or less similar in 3D (same problems in this game) and the Rage 128 Pro but that's too much modern and I'd use the Pentium III 500Mhz for that.
I wish I had the Savage3D to try too or the Intel i740 but not. The Savage4 seems like a more modern card too. The original TNT looked like the right card for 1998 and Win 98 First Edition.. too bad seems broken.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Bye

Reply 1 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm impressed by this video chip considering it doesn't even have an heatsink and stays cold most times.

That's because it doesn't work at 100% most of the time. Early accelerators usually had forced double-buffered vertical sync.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 8, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found that the latest 2002 drivers are very bad in terms of game compatibility. The latest driver version I can recommend is version 4.11.2560. https://gona.mactar.hu/ATI_3D_CIF/ is a good resource for finding which driver to use.

Reply 3 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-01-04, 21:38:

I'm impressed by this video chip considering it doesn't even have an heatsink and stays cold most times.

That's because it doesn't work at 100% most of the time. Early accelerators usually had forced double-buffered vertical sync.

I was reading old company press releases of the Rage Mobility and it looks like it had quite an advanced auto disabling units logic to save power (7W for the Mobility serie but I think similar to the Rage Pro classic). In fact compared to other chips with similar speed beside having poor performances, freqs, considering the 350nm process it's impressively cold even when stressed by games like the one above, not really a light game.

Reply 4 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMLGladiator wrote on 2022-01-04, 22:06:

I've found that the latest 2002 drivers are very bad in terms of game compatibility. The latest driver version I can recommend is version 4.11.2560. https://gona.mactar.hu/ATI_3D_CIF/ is a good resource for finding which driver to use.

Thanks, I'll try it. For the Mobility-P 8MB SGRAM I have on a strange AGP 4x connector card, are these drivers also the best ones? And what about the control panel page that gave info on the card I didn't see in the latest 2002 drivers? I remember there was one that gave at least basic info of the card itself. Latest 2002 driver has very basic config panels.

Reply 5 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried the 2560 drivers, it looks like somewhere (some) things got better in rendering accuracy (3DMark2000), Thief II has still the completely low res black shadows but I noticed OpenGL in Half Life now results in a half screen rendering with wrong colors and crash at the exit. Now this is a time correct memory, the old fashion ATi 90's driver situation.. 😁
But at least it recognize the card with its name "Turbo".. 😁

Reply 6 of 8, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might want to consider the ATI Rage XL (also included in the previously referenced gona spreadsheet link). It is the best performing of the Rage 3D Pro line and has bilinear filtering of transparent textures. Be sure to choose part #109-66700-00.

Re: Can we figure out Rage XL?

Last edited by Snover on 2024-02-15, 21:34. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restoring revision 136282

Reply 7 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-05, 10:36:

You might want to consider the ATI Rage XL (also included in the previously referenced gona spreadsheet link). It is the best performing of the Rage 3D Pro line and has bilinear filtering of transparent textures. Be sure to choose part #109-66700-00.

Re: Can we figure out Rage XL?

Interesting, I was reading it also had the iDCT acceleration for MPEG2 decoding like the Mobility-P. I'm a bit confused by all these old names/models and I was remembering wrong about it being a slower version. So at the end is the last 250nm process improved version of the Rage Pro core. From the specs it seems to also support the Rage Theather chip, interesting but I don't remember any cards with that mostly seen on the R100 cards or the Rage 128 Pro ones.
Sound like what the Riva 128 ZX has been in the 1999 for NV, a late low end still fast enough solution for entry level configs.

Last edited by 386SX on 2022-01-05, 12:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm even more impressed this card can actually run Quake3 demo @ 640x480 high geometric models, medium textures quality at more than playable frame rate I was expecting without any gfx errors. Latest drivers sure improved OpenGL rendering I suppose.

Interesting enough the first Thief Dark Project game demo sharing similar game engine I suppose, doesn't have any gfx shadows artifacts and plays perfectly at 800x600 high details with latest drivers.