First post, by AST-AUTISMO
Started woking on my AST Advantage tower again and I am looking at PCI video cards. Since I only have 2 PCI slots, I am trying to see if I can find a good card that would work well for both 2D DOS and Quake 2, in a windows 95 setting, with ideally 8MB of memory for some higher windows resolutions
Onboard it has a 2MB ATI Mach64CT and the ATI VBE driver is not functioning, and UniVBE performance is terrible especially on Duke 3D (which I really wanna play in 800x600).
Options I've explored:
- 2D card ($) + Voodoo2, bypassing Mach64, with ISA network
- Good 2D/3D ($$), bypassing Mach 64, with PCI network, but forgetting about GLIDE games
- Voodoo3 or Voodoo Banshee ($$$$$$) , with PCI network (but ideal for wide compatibility)
Looking at some old threads and articles, obviously most cards will be severely CPU limited. Options I've found:
- Matrox G200 PCI 8MB
- Matrox G450 PCI 8MB
- ATI Rage128 8MB
- TNT or TNT2 PCI 16MB (super expensive)
- Voodoo Banshee PCI (apparently unreliable, graphical corruption in a lot of samples?)
- Voodoo3 2000 PCI (really expensive)
Does anyone have any guidance/experience with these cards or some other recommendations? If I could get the mach64 actually performing well in VESA modes discussion would be moot because I could throw my Voodoo2 in there and call it a day, but it looks like the 64CT is just bad so that is very unlikely.