VOGONS

First post, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, I need your help. I recently purchased a Voodoo 1 card, and I'm getting these lines moving across the picture when running the Tomb Raider 3dfx demo in DOS. It looks a lot worse in person than in the GIF.

tomb3dem-small.gif
Filename
tomb3dem-small.gif
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I know it's not my passthrough cable since I'm using the same computer and cable for my Voodoo 2 card, and the picture is crystal clear. The seller said they tested the card before shipping, and that the card works fine since there are no artifacts in the picture. They suggested that the lines are probably caused by either my PSU, video card, or passthrough cable.

Have you seen anything like this before? Any ideas what's causing it?

I see some work done on the card. Could a lose solder joint cause this?

20220226_153047.jpg
Filename
20220226_153047.jpg
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license

Appreciate any help. As you know, these cards are no longer cheap. I just have terrible luck with Voodoo cards 🙁

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 1 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is this an earlier revision Diamond Monster 3D? They seem to have some design issue that causes diagonal scrolling lines on some TFT monitors. There are some suggestions what to do here: Diamond Voodoo 1, bad passthrough video quality

Reply 2 of 18, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-27, 03:45:

Is this an earlier revision Diamond Monster 3D? They seem to have some design issue that causes diagonal scrolling lines on some TFT monitors. There are some suggestions what to do here: Diamond Voodoo 1, bad passthrough video quality

Oh crap, so it's a manufacturing defect? There's a spot for the revision to be printed on the card, but it's blank. I'm guessing it's a revision B.

One of the solutions in that thread is to use a VGA switcher? I'm not sure how that will help, since I get these lines even when I take out the passthrough cable.

The other solution is the filter mod which is above my skill level.

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 3 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't say for sure what the general issue with (some?) earlier Diamond Monster 3D cards is, just that those scrolling lines seem to be characteristic for them.
My assumption is it is not a defect but a consequence of sloppy design. It didn't matter much back when the cards were new because at least the problems I have observed are not visible on CRTs. It is probably some degree of incompatibility between the Voodoo and the scaler in the TFT so the issue may vary depending on the monitor you're using.

The VGA switcher is suggested when the issue is with the 2D image. It would not help in your case, you're 100% right there.

I wish I could tell you something more useful but in my opinion it is a general issue with this card model that takes hardware modifications to fix.

Reply 4 of 18, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-27, 07:25:

I wish I could tell you something more useful but in my opinion it is a general issue with this card model that takes hardware modifications to fix.

Would an external VGA booster help?

Reply 6 of 18, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The diagonal lines is a noise that gotten into the video signal on the card. You need to modify the card through.

I had herringbone lines in the captured video of a capture card and for some dumb reason the tracks was not designed correctly and long way to the chipset from the connector. So I modified it by ripping out the tracks and installed coax cables and terminated them correctly. No more herringbone.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 18, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-02-27, 17:37:

The diagonal lines is a noise that gotten into the video signal on the card. You need to modify the card through.
Cheers,

Yes, but what if @Doornkaat is right and it is due to some incompatibility between the Voodoo and the scaler in the TFT, then if I can eliminate the incompatibility I can eliminate the noise in the signal. I was thinking of something like this: https://www.extron.com/product/p2da2xib

It has controls for output gain, as well as input and output impedance syncing. Could that eliminate the incompatibility?

Reply 9 of 18, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have my Diamond Voodoo 1 any more. Sold it a year or two back. My memory of it, is that those diagonal lines were also faintly visible with a CRT, however they were much more noticeable with an LCD.

I always assumed the difference was part of the general tendency of LCDs being harsh and unforgiving with old analog content that was meant for CRT.

Reply 10 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
enaiel wrote on 2022-02-27, 17:26:
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-27, 07:25:

Would an external VGA booster help?

I don't think so but I'm not very knowledgeable about analog signals. If the interference is filtered by the booster it may help but I would not count on it.

enaiel wrote on 2022-02-27, 17:50:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-02-27, 17:37:

Cheers,

Yes, but what if @Doornkaat is right and it is due to some incompatibility between the Voodoo and the scaler in the TFT, then if I can eliminate the incompatibility I can eliminate the noise in the signal. I was thinking of something like this: https://www.extron.com/product/p2da2xib

It has controls for output gain, as well as input and output impedance syncing. Could that eliminate the incompatibility?

I'm with pentiumspeed here. You probably need to prevent the noise from getting into the output signal in the first place.
I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding because I can't express myself precisely: There is not a general incompatibility between your screen and the card. I just assume that some TFTs are better at handling noise in signals than others. That would make some screens better suited for the noisy signal coming from your card.

Reply 11 of 18, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-28, 07:10:

I'm with pentiumspeed here. You probably need to prevent the noise from getting into the output signal in the first place.
I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding because I can't express myself precisely: There is not a general incompatibility between your screen and the card. I just assume that some TFTs are better at handling noise in signals than others. That would make some screens better suited for the noisy signal coming from your card.

Ah, got it. I did notice that the lines decreased in intensity when passed through a scanline generator circuit even when it was disabled. I guess it was just filtering out some of the noise.

Reply 13 of 18, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just wanted to report that the VGA booster made a massive improvement to the image quality of the Voodoo 1.

tomb3dem-small.gif
Filename
tomb3dem-small.gif
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File comment
Before the boost
File license
tomb3dem2-small.gif
Filename
tomb3dem2-small.gif
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File comment
After the boost!
File license

The lines are not totally gone, but they no longer annoy me. Well worth $10!

Reply 14 of 18, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not sure if the above gif files are accurately conveying what it looks like in real life. All I can say is that the second pic does not look good to me. Yes the diagonal lines are gone. But instead there is a whole lot of other ugly flickering and distortions constantly ripping down the image. I hope those are not present in real life, for the sake of your eyeballs!

Reply 15 of 18, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-03-02, 20:35:

I am not sure if the above gif files are accurately conveying what it looks like in real life. All I can say is that the second pic does not look good to me. Yes the diagonal lines are gone. But instead there is a whole lot of other ugly flickering and distortions constantly ripping down the image. I hope those are not present in real life, for the sake of your eyeballs!

The flickering and distortions are probably because I was holding the device in my hand with all connections loosely connected 🤣. Here's a better GIF:

tomb3dem3-small.gif
Filename
tomb3dem3-small.gif
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 17 of 18, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
enaiel wrote on 2022-03-02, 20:52:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-03-02, 20:35:

The flickering and distortions are probably because I was holding the device in my hand with all connections loosely connected 🤣. Here's a better GIF:

tomb3dem3-small.gif

Awesome, good result.

Reply 18 of 18, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-03-02, 21:13:

Hey, nice! Good to know there's a bit of a workaround.😃👍

Shreddoc wrote on 2022-03-02, 21:27:

Awesome, good result.

Thanks, just want to point out that it's not the VGA boost function that is actually reducing the noise. The boost function, and the input and output impedance matching merely seem to make the dim Voodoo1 signal brighter. I'm guessing it's probably got noise reduction circuitry built in since it's designed to connect desktops and laptops with a projector connected by over 75m of cable, and that's what's doing the trick.