VOGONS

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hiyas...

I have a Mach32 board that has two sockets for upgrading to 2mb vram.

The chips on the board are: HM514170AJ8

I had some Oki M514265BSL chips which I thought were the same kind, but they don't seem to work/allow higher resolutions. I then found an image of someone elses card which had all the ram populated but had one extra resistor on the links below the RAM, so I added a 100ohm resistor (same as the one next to it) to the missing pad, this also did not enable the extra 1mb of memory. Perhaps the OKI RAM I've tried to use is just incompatible. If anyone can recommend me compatible RAM chips I'd appreciate it if that were the case, the originals I cannot seem to obtain.

Any ideas? Thank you all

PXL_20220303_202634922.MP.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220303_202634922.MP.jpg
File size
568.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PXL_20220303_195635751.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220303_195635751.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Example of the one which had 2mb installed with the extra resistor, bit blurry tho:

nova.jpg
Filename
nova.jpg
File size
166.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 11, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These vram IC added is EDO hence not working, you need FPM VRAM SOJ.

This one you need:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/123111558436?epid=151 … 7oAAOSwZz9a6ifB

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the pinouts for the two, I think they're different enough that could be why it's not working.

The main thing I noticed is that the OKI is "Hyper page mode" or EDO, while the Hitachi is just regular FPM. The picture with all the RAM soldered shows NEC chips, those could usually be UPD424260 I think? But the NEC UPD424260 and the M514265BSL do have UCAS/LCAS lines, for 8-bit mode data transfer. So the pinout's a little different from the Hitachi, which only has one CAS line.
Looking here: http://www.amoretro.de/2012/09/ati-graphics-u … rafikkarte.html - that's actually the UDP42S4170, which is mostly the same but a bit earlier. The 424170 only has the one CAS line on the SOJ-40 chip, so it's probably the best chip if the Hitachi chips aren't available.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 11, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cheers guys!

In regards to the ram mentioned above, being in the UK, the closest I can buy for a reasonable price would be either of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pcs-DRAM-Memory- … 0-127635-2958-0

Or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HM514260DJ6-262-14 … 7-127634-2357-0

Neither are perfectly as recommended by you guys but seem very similar. Are either any good for me? Thanks again.

Reply 4 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just thought of something, those OKI chips might work if you tie the UCAS & LCAS pins together on the SoJ. Maybe. What I'm thinking is, if the card only has one of the two CAS lines that the OKI chips need, maybe it's only getting 8 bits out of 16 bits.

The two that you've linked are FPM, so they're worth a go.

I Think they might have the same problem as the OKI chips. In that they also have the UCAS & LCAS line differences from the original Hitachi chips, which just have the one CAS line. You can test that for yourself non destructively by checking with a multimeter (or visually) whether the SoJ socket's pins 28 & 29 are tied together on the PCB. If those two pins are connected then any of the 256k x 16 SOJ 40 FPM chips should be fine.

It seems like the end numbers, 4170 vs 4260 mean something different in terms of possible arrangement which might explain the different pinout on SoJ that you'd think were standard. The 4170 chips don't seem very available though.

------
Edit, well this was a rabbit hole. Looked up datasheets that mention UWE & LWE since that would be similar to your original chips. Found the "(HM514270,HM51s4270)" seem to be both available and have the same pinout.

Reply 5 of 11, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thx @Thermalwrong oddly though reading the datasheet it says that the 'S' variation designates fast page ability and that particular version doesn't seem to hit up any results on eBay, but the non-S varient does. I'm assuming I'd need the S varient. By the way I'll check those cas lines as suggested in a bit.

Reply 6 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would buy some cheapo PCI Mach64 and steal the chips from that. Where I am you can get them for 5€ range all days long and most have 4 chips to harvest, often 2 in a socket already.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 11, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In general, cards with sockets should not need any modding to apply additional memory.
They made the effort to install those sockets, why would they omit some two bit two cent component?

Then, look up the fine print on the existing ones and get that - meaning chips of the same geometry, like 256k x 16 in this case.
Didn't check, but the numbers on those Hitachi ones read ...8 which probably indicates 80 ns access time, meaning rather basic ones for the era.
Since better ones in addition won't make that thing any faster, it might allow for cheaper parts.

Sourcing parts: There's an obvious marketing bias between
"semiconductor xyz cryptic technobabble"
for engineering and
"RAM upgrade for your prized vintage ATI Mach32"
in the classic computer department.

So, if on a budget, it can sometimes be a better deal to look for a lot of 10 or so in a more "business to business" region of the world, like maybe Ali. At least, if you're willing to sell the other ones in the "RAM upgrade for..." department afterwards.
I mean, these parts were manufactured by the gazillion. Dont' know how "legacy" they are by now, but in my gut feeling, anything above a buck per piece is basically theft.

Found some for 3.5 sterling in a two minute search:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222449233845

Or five for ten from good old Shenzen, but those are EDO again:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173752765061

Edit: hooray, 100 posts, I've made it from "Newbie" to "member". 😁

I like jumpers.

Reply 8 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Right now the problem is wrong memory.

There are two kinds of SOJ40 pinouts (separate CAS lines and separate Write strobles) and both are mutually incompatible, plus there's EDO vs FPM. This means 4 combinations, and only one of those works (Separate CAS + FPM), but luckily this is the most common memory and shouldn't be difficult to find. But you must verify pinout etc. from datasheet prior if buying bare chips.
I prefer to salvage the chips from existing old PCI video cards (nearly all the cheapo Cirrus, mach64, S3 Trio cards), they already have the right stuff on them.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 9 of 11, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-03-04, 00:01:
I just thought of something, those OKI chips might work if you tie the UCAS & LCAS pins together on the SoJ. Maybe. What I'm thi […]
Show full quote

I just thought of something, those OKI chips might work if you tie the UCAS & LCAS pins together on the SoJ. Maybe. What I'm thinking is, if the card only has one of the two CAS lines that the OKI chips need, maybe it's only getting 8 bits out of 16 bits.

The two that you've linked are FPM, so they're worth a go.

I Think they might have the same problem as the OKI chips. In that they also have the UCAS & LCAS line differences from the original Hitachi chips, which just have the one CAS line. You can test that for yourself non destructively by checking with a multimeter (or visually) whether the SoJ socket's pins 28 & 29 are tied together on the PCB. If those two pins are connected then any of the 256k x 16 SOJ 40 FPM chips should be fine.

It seems like the end numbers, 4170 vs 4260 mean something different in terms of possible arrangement which might explain the different pinout on SoJ that you'd think were standard. The 4170 chips don't seem very available though.

------
Edit, well this was a rabbit hole. Looked up datasheets that mention UWE & LWE since that would be similar to your original chips. Found the "(HM514270,HM51s4270)" seem to be both available and have the same pinout.

Hi Thermalwrong, I buzzed out pins 28&29 and they were not connected, so I linked them (easily reversible if I need to) and tested, but unfortunately still did not work with the OKI chips. I've been told that pins 12 & 13 may need linking too? On HM514170AJ they are LWE & UWE but on M514265BSL they are NC & WE.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 11, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2022-03-04, 10:50:

There are two kinds of SOJ40 pinouts (separate CAS lines and separate Write strobles) and both are mutually incompatible

OK, wasn't aware of that. Still not rocket science, but better check for that.
You'll find a data sheet for pretty much anything.

The original Hitachi chips:
https://4donline.ihs.com/images/VipMasterIC/I … 6BF9D772C3B8264

The OKI ones I suggested:
https://ardent-tool.com/datasheets/OKI_MSM514260.pdf
Yup, they appear to be of the other kind, sorry.

You'll figure it out!

I like jumpers.